Saturday, December 2, 2017

two nutcrackers and a street parade


Did you hear it when you said it?
Maybe you weren't holding your mouth just right...
"two turntables and a mi-cro-phone"...
from Mantronix, back in 1985. Oh, yeah!

How did that come to the surface in the sea of my brain?
I have no idea.
My head is akin to a jukebox full of records, lovingly gathered over the decades, and every once in a while one drops onto the turntable for a spin.
(smile)
i thank You, God for the music!

So, as you can guess, 'tis the time of year when Christmas looms large and the Lucas Theatre hosts "The Nutcracker In Savannah" from the Savannah Ballet Theatre. As I have done in the past, I ushered for both the matinee and the evening performances.
For the matinee, I was agog as I watched the dancers and the children in the audience, reveling in the sway and twirl of the costumes in time with the classical score. Oh, my!
However, for the later show, I actually sat and watched, paying attention to the story.
This time around, I finally understood that this was more than a little girl's dream.
For one thing, this piece had to have caused quite a stir when it was first performed. Where and when, you ask?
In St. Petersburg, Russia, on December 18, 1892.
Not surprising, then, that it received a cold welcome.
Fast forward to the 1960's. Change was in the air, not just in North America, but all over the world. Equal rights for people of all colors, equal rights for people of all genders, equal rights for people of all sexualities. At last this holiday ballet, with its openness to diversity and celebration of all cultures, had arrived into its proper point in time! Chinese ribbon dancers twirled beside Indian snake charmers whilst Spanish flamenco artists kept pace with the Russian steppers and the jumping Danish!
Sure, they were meant simply as toys and sweets presented to the little girl as part of the holiday feast... but the message was still there: acceptance and appreciation of differences in others.
Incredible that this originated more than a hundred years ago.
As much as I enjoyed the glitz and sparkly bits, as well as the melodies, it was the end that truly moved me. The toy soldier had been given to Clara as a fancy tool for opening seeds - perhaps roasted chestnuts?
(smile)
First, the nutcracker, designed as a toy soldier, was animated to allow him to dance with the girl. Then, his service as a swordsman was called into play to protect her.
By the end, the girl loved him and he loved her. Together, that love enabled the toy to cast off his wooden face as he became a real boy, a prince for the princess.

That's my favorite scene,
that one at the end,
with them holding hands
and looking into
each others eyes.
(smile)
It brought to mind the last scene
in "Blade Runner 2049",
when the android K was laying across the steps.

Throughout the movie, he had been chasing the dream of being a real boy, perhaps to salvage some sense of 'humanity' from his job as a killer of his kind. Then, when he discovered that human twins had been born from Deckert and android Rachel and never found, he wondered if he was the missing son... since he was the right age... and he found that he wants to believe...
At the end, however, as he was dying, he realized that he was not a real human after all... but he had certainly enjoyed thinking that he was one.
Quite a touching moment.
I had meant to write of that movie before now, but I was a bit distracted at the time.
i thank You, God, that i am all better now!
(smile)

Let's see, what else was I wanting to mention here?
Oh, yes, the street parade! What a prime location I had, too, there at Abercorn and Broughton!

Dolled-up belles
of olden days
and their
gentlemen callers!

Pirate ships
cruising upon
the asphalt sea!

Dune Cats
chasing each other
in circles!

Cars
of all types
lit up
for a party!


Such a nice treat after my Treylor Park dinner, too!
There, I dined sumptuously upon Shrimp and Grits Tacos. What a smorgasbord of tastes! Pesto, aioli, sweet red peppers, fried shrimp! And each taco was topped with a fried grits cube that was cooked just right... yummy!
As an extra treat, my waitress was one of my favorite former students, Kelcee! She will be finishing the nursing program in 2019, so I will look forward to her pinning ceremony!

I finished my evening playing in the 'snow'!
How wonderful that it was only falling outside the Lucas!
(smile!)


No comments: