Thursday, July 12, 2018

elvis and vegas, baby! day 1

Let the games begin!
As I said, I opted to stay at Sam's Town for the four days - and three long nights! - of the Elvis Festival, as I don't want to chance missing a single moment!
All of the late-night events will be held right here, at Roxy's Lounge, a fairly intimate setting for sure!
I plan to get up and dance every night, just as I did tonight!

Tonight's show was the "68 COMEBACK", presenting the chapter in Elvis’ life from the King’s enlistment to his return to musical dominance in 1968.
This concert starred two Images of the King World Champion Elvis entertainers: Dwight Icenhower and Ryan Pelton, who may well be my very favorite of all, ever.
In 2016, Graceland named Dwight the “Ultimate Elvis Tribute Artist” while Ryan is the star of the Elvis inspired movie “The Identical.”
The show was backed, of course, by the Change of Habit tribute band, just like the competitions at the Georgia Elvis Fest.
The show was held in the huge concert hall, Sam's Town Live, as will be all six of the headliners, as well as the special film.
See this view?
That's from my vantage point in Seat 4 at Table 30!
I had deliberately chosen this seat because it was the farthest right, last one in the last row, up-against-the-curtains chair.
That allowed me to get up and dance during the shows!
I know the ETA's really appreciated that because I would see them watching me. (smile)
This first show was patterned exactly after the 1958 tv
special, "Singer Presents...Elvis", even including the Christmas gift idea commercials that Singer aired!
That was almost fifty years ago - wow!
In accordance with that show's format, this began with Dwight singing some of the songs from 1956.
Then, Ryan came out, in uniform, to perform those tunes from Elvis' military days!
Don't give me the "G.I. Blues", "Teddybear"! (smile)
Then, during Dwight's return to the stage,
we had a big surprise in store...
but, wait a minute!
Watch this video of Elvis singing "Little Egypt" in
the 1964 film, "Roustabout".
That 34-year-old woman is Wilda Taylor...
And that's her, 50 years later, dancing on this stage!
Wow! She knew Elvis when he was just 29 years old!
Then it was time for my man of the elevator, the one
and only Ryan Pelton, clad in black leather as I'd
seen him in Brunswick - ooh la la!
And what was that tune he was crooning?
What was his sweet message in those sexy duds?
He says he "Can't Help Falling In Love"... with me...
as I slow dance solo, at the back of the room, accompanied by an older couple.
Right place, right time.
I kept right on dancing, too, this time with Dwight
in the black leather for the jam session.
What I liked most about this portion of the show
was the camaraderie between these men, as they joked
and strummed and broke into song - "Are You Lonesome
Tonight", "Blue Christmas", "One Night With You" -
that felt so realistic and natural!
There followed some commercials from Singer for turntables and radios, then several gospel numbers, including "Peace In The Valley" -
I very much like that one.
For the grand finale, featuring
"If I Can Dream", both Ryan and Dwight were on stage, together!
Double vision of delightfulness, foretelling of doubly sweet dreams for me later!
Hallelujah!
i thank You, God!
Afterwards, we were all kicking
it at Roxy's Lounge for the
"Rock Viva Las Vegas" show!
That featured an extraordinary
33-year-old entertainer, Victor Trevino Jr., backed by The Gamblers, as well as some of the other ETAs.
I danced a couple of songs with this thin, tall, black dude in a fedora - that was such fun!
I did a lot of solo dancing, too!
Dwight Icenhower did a few numbers, too!
First, though, he had a special message from Ryan Pelton, for me.
(Hey, I know the elevator man meant it for me, you hear?)
Ryan regretted that he would not be able to join us, but he was overbooked and had another gig and had to leave.
Sounds like my schedule sometimes!
Then Dwight sang "Crocodile Rock" and other Elton songs for my dancing pleasure!

Rock on, into the wee hours, my fine folks, but this East Coast chica is starting to flag.
When the band took a set break, I took that opportunity to grab this photo with Di Light, then to exit, stage right.
He had been on Roxy's stage, too, singing "Rhinestone Cowboy" in those painted-on jeans!
I look forward to seeing him perform in the two shows on Saturday...
and maybe here at Roxy's again before that!
Long live the spirit and the music of The King of Rock 'n' Roll!

2 comments:

faustina said...

News flash: Ryan Pelton was in a movie! It was 2014's "The Identical", under the stage name of Blake Rayne.
https://www.ryanpelton.com/blake-rayne
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2326574/?ref_=nv_sr_1
In the movie, he plays twins, separated at birth. One becomes a world-famous singer, the other not so much.
Odd, but I don't recall seeing that one...yet!
Guess I better see if I can locate it.

faustina said...

Oh, one more thing.
Ryan Pelton - yes, that's his REAL name - is the one who WROTE "56 THE BEGINNING", which was the first show on Friday, July 13th.
http://beachwalksoffaustina.blogspot.com/2018/07/elvis-and-vegas-baby-day-2.html
Wow!
I sure wish he would have been able to stay for the accolades for that wonderful piece!