Sunday, July 29, 2018

dogs, a princess, and a rock


"So, what's with the wacky title?"

Well, it refers to the three movies I saw today.

"Oh, you had a triple header at the cinema?"

Nope! Only one of the movies was at a movie house. The first one was at my house, courtesy of On Demand.
(smile)
It was also, by far, the worst of the trio. Good thing it was free!

"What was so bad about it?"

Well, based on the title, I had high hopes for this 2007 film. After all, it was called "The Year Of The Dog", right?

"Oh, yes, I get it, with 2018 being that in the Chinese calendar."

Exactly! I've been trying to work in more dog-centric movies this year. That's why I chose to watch "The Sandlot" and "Isle Of Dogs" on my flights to, and from, Vegas, respectively. I do so love both of them!

"Most excellent choices! I'm sure they helped the travel fly by!"

LOL! Yes, they did!
Thanks for the little joke!
(smile)

"You're quite welcome, dear. Now, tell me more about today's movie, please."

Okay, but know this: I'll never watch it again. It was that bad. There was a lot of film time spent with Molly Shannon mooning over dogs in kennels, over chickens and goats and horses and pigs on a farm, over animals in general. This was evidently her attempt to help out the ASPCA or some other animal rights group, but it was rather heavy-handed. At one point, she's "adopted" fifteen dogs that were to be euthanized and was living in a noisy, filthy house with all of them.

"Yikes. Well, at least you're done with it."

Amen to that, sister!

"Indeed. So, what was the movie with the princess in it? That sounds fun!"

It truly was, even though I ended up seeing it because I misunderstood what film was to be shown. I had been told it would be the Oscar-winning 2007 "La Vie En Rose", about Edith Piaf, and had been curious why the LGBT Center had chosen it for its "Look Back" screening for this evening.

"But that was not the case?"

It most assuredly was not. Instead, I was treated to a delightful 1997 Belgian film, "Ma Vie En Rose", and found it completely appropriate for this venue! The story revolved around a 7-year-old boy who believed his "other X" chromosome had fallen into the trash, but that God would make it right and turn him into a girl one day. Needless to say, his family - mom, dad, two brothers, sister, and granny - had thought his dressing up was a phase he would grow out of, but eventually accepted that Ludovic was their "child", regardless of gender. Very nice!

"Very different!"

Well, kindly remember that I was once a regular at the short-lived LGBT Film Festivals here. The first was in 2009 and was full of diversity - I loved it! Sadly, the woman in charge moved a few years later and the series ended.
I'm glad the new center is carrying on with this genre.

"I am, too. Hopefully more people will venture out - get it? - to partake of these gems."

That is the hope.
We had about twelve to fifteen viewers tonight, including Jim Reed in a tie!

"You're kidding! Why was he dressed up? Was he at church earlier?"

Well, you're close.
(smile)
Apparently, like the physicist, he is ordained. He had wed a couple before the film!

"Wow. I would never have guessed that."

Me, neither! But we would have both been wrong 'bout that.

"You silly thing. 'Both' of us? Really?"

Well, c'mon, you know what I mean.
I've been watching scattered episodes of the new John Larroquette series, "Me, Myself, and I". I started because it was free and had him, but I've stayed because I like the premise. It's one person, at three different ages, and he plays the oldest one. I really enjoy the interwoven story lines... but I've gotten off track, haven't I?
Why don't I move along to "Skyscraper"?

"You mean, "Die Hard" in a taller building? Lol! Oh! I get it! The Rock stars in it!"

Ding ding ding! You win the booby prize!

"Ha ha. Like I need any more in that area. Not only am I "All About That Bass", but I've got plenty of 'treble', too!"

(smile)
Yeah, but you know the boys "like a little more booty to hold at night" - lol!

"Yeah, you go on with your bad self now."

Yes, ma'am.
(smile)
So, do you know why I joined Carolyn to watch that burning building on screen?

"No. Why?"

Because it was the final screening at the Spotlight - I mean, Cinegrand Eisenhower. The cinema is closed now, its silver screen gone dark.

"Oh, no. How very sad. First, the Victory Cinema closed its doors and now this one. I know that Carolyn must be heartsick about this loss."

She really is. She practically lived there when her air conditioning was on the fritz. Heck, even before that! She loved all the young men, and Bernard, the one older fellow.
I really liked the place, too.
Ronnie and I had been there on Thursday to see "Hotel Transylvania 3".
That had been a busy day for me! Lunch at Buffalo Wild Wings with Christina and Chelsea, then a late - and free! - viewing of "Ant-Man and The Wasp" with Carolyn. The boys even gave us free food!

"Wow!"

I know, how very nice of them!
And now, they are gone.
Nike, one of my former Tech students, came by before she and I left the cinema for the last time. He told us he starts school in Statesboro in two weeks. He also said that he enjoyed chemistry with me so much that he may change his major to that instead of biology!
Woohoo! How wonderful to be thought of so well!

"I am so happy for you!
And sad that the Spotlight is now closed.
Maybe, Cinema Savannah or Savannah Shakes or Savannah Stage Company or Collective Face Ensemble or someone will buy it and turn it into a constructive place again.
"

I do hope so.
You know, between its time as the Regal Eisenhower and Spotlight and Cinegrand Eisenhower, I've been going there to see movies for more than three decades.
I'd sure like for those days to continue.

"Heard. I know Carolyn would like that, too."

You know, it's her birthday tomorrow. I'll have to see about sharing a meal with her or something. I've already feted her for her birthday, you know. I took her to see "Cabaret", a la the Savannah Stage Company - and she loved it!!! So did I, of course, so did I... but that's for another time.
(smile)

"Didn't you also give her one of those nice travel sets from Diamond Resorts?"

I did! I gave one to Barbara, too, as a late birthday gift to her. She was to have been going to Washington state at month's end, but that got put on hold by the family she was going to visit.

"There will be other trips, I'm sure, and that will be a good gift for both Barbara and Carolyn. Okay, it's late and you seem to still be on Vegas time. Maybe to bed soon?"

Perhaps...

"Sweet dreams, you!"

And to you, my dear girl, and to you.

No comments: