Friday, July 6, 2018

paging Clark Gable...




Happy 56th birthday, my middle brother, Ronald Allen!
I though you would get a kick out of this video.
"No Particular Place To Go" seems to be your modus operandi these last few years.
Sure, there are places you're known to frequent, and I hit all of those today.
You see, dear brother mine, I went in search of you to take you out for lunch and a movie, as I usually have done for your birthday these past few years.
This time, it was to be the movie first, then perhaps an early dinner. I had already seen "Tag", but I just know you would enjoy it, too!
I had looked for you yesterday, at the car wash. Tony had said that you go there a lot and he's seen you on video there. I was told to go "between 9:45 and 10:45 in the morning", so that's what I did. But you did not show up.
So, after getting the scoop from Hobie of Foam 'n Brush yesterday, I began at the Dairy Queen. No, you weren't there, but the young woman had seen you yesterday.
On I went to cruise the parking lot, peering at the Target and the Home Depot sidewalks and doorways, respectively. No, you weren't there, either.
Next to check in front of the old Victory Cinema, now closed. I had been told you and some other homeless hang out there for shade, now that the days are so hot. A guy and a gal were there, panhandling. The guy said you and another guy had gone to swim at the pool at the Alhambra apartment homes. He also said to check behind the Marathon gas station because you were "always" there. Well, apparently that is a lie, so that guy must have been Randy, as he has already proved himself to be a liar.
After fruitlessly driving over to the apartment complex and walking up to the small, swimmerless, pool, I continued over to the Marathon, parking at the laundromat you once frequented years ago. For old time's sake, I checked, but you were not there. Nor were you anywhere around the gas station. I was there for thirty minutes or so, during a doozy of a summer thunderstorm.
Back again to cruise the Target and Home Depot storefronts. Same result as before.
Only the gal was still in front of the closed movie house.
I decided to park myself at the DQ and wait for you to make an appearance. The time was now going toward 4 PM. I went ahead and ordered the chicken fingers and settled into the corner booth, to keep an eye on the car wash. Two birds with one stone, right?
The folks working the DQ told me you came in "every day".
Well, you didn't come in today, did you? I was there for close to seven hours and you never showed up. And it's not like I left at any time and just missed you.
Nope, that wasn't the case. You didn't come to the DQ at all.
You didn't go over to the car wash that serves as your ATM, either. Quite a nice little inside joke, that is! But, in truth, that's really what those car vacuums are for you, aren't they? Best type of "bank" account ever! Other people put the money in and you get to extract it daily, with no one minding. Even better, sometimes Hobie or his wife, Terri, will see you coming and pad the account for you. Such a charmed life you lead, with so many looking after your well-being!
Including me.
I still have this phone that I bought for you almost a year ago.
Today, everywhere I went, I carried it with me.
Today, everyone I spoke to, I told about the phone I had for you.
Here's a funny thing about that.
Twice, folks suggested that maybe you were avoiding me.
Yesterday, it was the guy at the car wash that said it. It not only ticked me off, it also hurt my feelings that anyone would think such a thing.
Then, today, the lone white chick at the Dairy Queen said it.
Hmmm...
Well, if I hear it tomorrow from a third person, then I guess it's true.
But how about that third person be YOU, brother mine?
If you want me out of your life, then man up and tell me.
Don't just avoid me and leave me spinning my wheels - literally - all day in search of you.

I'll give it the old college try again tomorrow...
hope I see you then!
Prove the naysayers and rumormongers wrong, will ya?
with my love!

No comments: