Monday, July 30, 2018

farewell, sweet bag



I'm setting it free.
This delightful carry-all was a Christmas gift years ago from my outlaw Kathy -
that means it came all the way from Paris!
Inside joke, y'all.
Paris is in Tennessee, near Nashville.
Anywho, as I was saying, I've had it for quite a while.
I do believe she sent it to me in 2007... or at least some time since now and then.
It has been in heavy rotation ever since.
During the school year, the bag carried books, tests, lab papers, lecture notes, whiteboard markers, pens, paper clips, and at least one calculator - for those students who forgot theirs on exam days.
When I was on holiday, the tote became my computer bag, safely nestling my laptop for the many journeys to Daytona Beach, Kissimmee, Las Vegas, Monteagle, Augusta, Myrtle Beach, Williamsburg, Summerville, Charleston, and Atlanta, Atlanta, Atlanta.
If that bag had an odometer, I wonder what it would read?

The handle began shedding its protective vinyl in shreds a couple of years ago.
I kept using the bag anyway, reluctant to let it go...
but knowing the time was arriving.
I continued to enjoy its roominess and that lovely sea-blue "T" on its face...
but I left it home when I went to Nevada this time.
Now, as the first day of classes nears, I am releasing the bag.
I will not be needing it for this school year, as I will not be teaching.
Ready or not, I'm retired... and the trusty tote is, too.
Thank you for your many years of service.
Thank you for accompanying me on my adventures.
Thank you.

No comments: