Saturday, July 8, 2017

rounding second base!


subtitle: fun with family!


I began my day with sushi, leftovers from yesterday - thanks, DRI!
Then, about lunch time, Smitty and Mary arrived!
Hooray!
I gave them the bedroom with the better oceanview, the king-sized bed, and the garden tub.
After all, my biggest little brother was here on his birthday eve!
Very nice!
Even better that they had arrived just in time for a fun movie at Cinematique! "Band Aid" was about a couple who found that making music together helped them work through marital issues. Such an excellent choice for post-movie discussion while tasting the fine chocolates at Angell & Phelps!
Going to the little cinema, seeing the art-house film, eating the Michigan-origin candy - those were all "firsts" for Smitty. Hooray! And I had used some of my bounty from yesterday to treat them to the movie - thanks, DRI!
(smile)
As we were leaving the chocolate factory, we decided on some late lunch. The Original Stavros' Pizza House at block's end seemed perfect - Smitty could have a beer with his meal! I had been once before and recommended the gyro, which he had. Mary and I had pasta dishes. The food was good, but the service was erratic and we ate in shifts. We stayed nice and dry during the rain, so that was good!
Later, we headed back to Ormond for a stroll on the sand...
aahhhh... good call!

The downpour had cooled things off
and we had a nice long walk,
stopping along the way
to chat with a net-caster looking
for more prawns for his dinner.
(Apparently, the shrimp boat that had
been moored off the beach since
my arrival had let a few get away.

The guy had great success yesterday with his net!)
There was also a couple who had used a drone
to set their lines far out from the few swimmers.
Novel idea!
They were hoping for some larger fish -
like grouper -
for their evening repast.
Hope they had good luck!
All we saw were tiny little
multicolored clams.

A bit later, we headed back to Cinematique for the 8 PM improv comedy. Smitty loves jokes and such, just like I do, but he had never been to a live show.
Well, he can't say that now!
(smile)
Random Acts of Insanity had a special summer Saturday show, just for him!
(Hey, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!)
(smile)
They usually only perform there on Tuesday evenings, so this was a rare treat!

Almost immediately, we had one of my favorites -
"parental interrogation"!
The trick was that the "kid" - the big guy, Menos -
had to "confess" to what he had been doing...
without knowing what it was that he had done!
What was it?
Hanging out with Homer Simpson, in North Korea,
spitting grape Jell-O on the sidewalk!
(That last part was from my suggestion!)
Very funny!

"The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly"
was not western by any means!
The rotating-cast trio had to give
appropriately-themed answers to
questions from the audience.
I asked, "Where's my flying car?"
and one answer was "where's my dinner, woman?"
Hahahaha!
Smitty thought that was a hoot, too!

"Tell Me Three Things..."
was a very interesting premise.
Two actors came on, with one asking the other
to say three things about a topic.
Then the one questioned would ask the
next actor up with a different question,
and so on until all were on stage.
Very amusing questions and answers!
Mary really liked that one; so did I.

"Pick-Up Lines" invited a woman onstage
to judge the charm (thumbs up)
or disgust (thumbs down)
of the guys' artistry.
Here's an example:
"Baby, you're like a knife (household object)
because you're so sharp."
Pretty good line, right?
We thought so, too!

All in all, a very fine way to spend the eve of my brother's 57th birthday!
i thank You, God, for the many coincidences that came together for us!

No comments: