Tuesday, March 19, 2019

eleven and fifty

I was eleven years old when Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin walked on the moon, while Michael Collins orbited and awaited their reunion for the return to Earth.
All three men were born in 1930 and turned 39 the year of the Apollo 11 mission.
That was fifty years ago, come the 20th of July of this year.
Almost all of the people who were part of that space mission are now dead.
Almost all of the people who viewed that liftoff are no longer alive.
Almost all of the people who watched the televised portions are not here anymore.

I would like to say that I remember it.
What I remember is the family watching the black and white television.
Notice that I didn't say I recall what we were watching.
I just remember that it was important that we did so as a family, all together.
I knew my parents regarded the events as very important, but I did not understand.
I was only eleven years old.
I do remember being more interested in science afterward, but in a general way.
Later, in middle school, I particularly found myself drawn to biology and chemistry.

When I had watched "Apollo 11" for the first time, on Saturday night, I had the company of one other in the screening room.
We both sat in the first row, though about four seats apart.
After the credits began, I rose and said to him, "I was only eleven years old when that was happening."
He responded that he grew up thirty miles from Wapakoneta, Ohio, birthplace of Neil Armstrong.
I then told him about my visit to the Armstrong Air And Space Museum in summer of 2012; he recommended I see the museum in Dayton on my next trip to Ohio.
We ended by talking about the Kennedy Space Center and my visits there in 2017 and then again last year, for lunch with Brian Duffy, the Saturn and Apollo experience, and learning via a Cosmic Quest.
Then we shook hands and wished each other well.
(smile)



I've been recommending the film to everyone ever since.
Tonight, I saw the movie again, an unplanned viewing with my Tuesday 'date'.
Kevin and I had intended to see a futuristic science fiction piece, but dinner at Jalapenos had gone a good bit longer than we'd planned.
Fortuitous timing, as it turned out, for I'd wanted to see "Apollo 11" again.
Right place, right time.
He had enjoyed it and I had been there to give him extra information, and an added perspective from age and my multiple exposures to the Kennedy Space Center, so that had benefited both of us.
i thank You, God.

2 comments:

faustina said...

Post Script:

After the three astronauts are reunited in Columbia and headed back to Earth, the song "Mother Country" is played. (I had thought it was Johnny Cash, but it was John Stewart.)
Here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWwayDfJtkE
The song was released in May of 1969.
The psychologist said he would have used David Bowie's "Space Oddity", but I had told him it had not yet come out.
I was mistaken.
It was released just days before the Apollo 11 mission.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Oddity

faustina said...

I have to wonder what Neil Armstrong and the other astronauts would think of these advancements in spacesuit design.
My guess is they would LOVE them!
Remember, they were small men and those suits were incredibly bulky and heavy when they were on their flight missions.
Yeah for science!

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-52787365