Thursday, March 14, 2019

pi day with rembrandt and frogs

These were no ordinary amphibians, not quite!
The "Roswell Frogs" feature wart dots in various neon hues, from a hot pink to a lime green and several more in between!
The 2008 glass structure fascinates me, calling me near every time that I visit the Jepson.
I think part of the attraction is knowing the artist, Charlie Miner, crafted it when he was my age.
The power of birthday60, folks!

This beautiful mobile draws my attention on each visit, too.
I notice how "katniss" looks in different lighting, at different times of day, with different skies above.
It's practically a living work of art!
I've probably taken more photos of this one piece than I have of any other piece in all the years I've been going to the Jepson.
Oh, wait... I'm sure that honor belongs, hands down, to "Swarm".
(smile)


After all, I've been attracted to that technological work ever since I first saw it as part of the PULSE exhibit in 2012. Now, every time "Swarm" shows up on a wall, I can be counted on to be standing in front of it, striking poses for it to re-imagine, with my camera then capturing those ever-shifting images.
We'll have to wait and see how many more photos I accumulate of the floral piece during the year that "katniss" reigns on high!

And just what had drawn me to the Jepson on this Thursday evening?
A lecture and reception, of course!
This one, titled "Rembrandt And The Jewish Experience", it was a rare members-only event...
so I simply had to be there to see what all the fuss was about!
I'm so glad I was!
Shelley Perlove was an absolute joy to listen to and to watch!
I could tell she truly loved her subject matter - and so can you, courtesy of the recorded lecture.
She was so lively and animated!
Honestly, she reminded me of my friend Barbara, when she is having a truly fun day, like when we were in the mountains in 2017.
How very nice!

And afterward, Thrive had an
extra-special treat waiting for
us at the reception!
In addition to the truly luscious
fresh fruit and vegetables...
in addition to the skewers of
grilled chicken and mushroom...
they had dutch-apple pie!
How good of them!
(smile)

What a fitting finale for this
STEM girl on Pi Day!
I speak of myself, naturally,
as I do not know of the harpist's
affinity of science and math.
I do know she played a beautiful
rendition of "Dream A Little Dream
Of Me", a favorite tune.
Many thanks to all for a splendid
evening... and good pie!
(smile)

No comments: