Monday, March 11, 2019

penny for my marvel

That's me, in 1981, sitting in my barracks room at Torii Station, wearing my t-shirt from boot camp, festooned with balloons which proclaimed that "Life is a Breece!"
That pun was based on my boot camp commander down in Orlando.
This picture of me, at 23 years of age, taken by Rick Putt, is one of my favorites.
I'm happy and hopeful and confident and I knew I was loved as I was!
(smile)


That feeling of the world being open for exploration and adventure, and me being just the person to do so, was absolutely magical.
Join A.C.T.O.R. (the theatre group) and be their biggest fan?
Yep, you know I'm your girl!
Jump up on the bar with my best friend Lizz and dance to Pat Benatar?
You know I will, even with my boots on!
Sing along to every song on the jukebox, getting Beau and others to join in?
"Hit Me With Your Best Shot" while I "Whip It"!
Go down to Kadena and hang out at Club Pianissimo and the strip clubs with Mikey?
Oh, man, that was soooo much fun!
Stay up all night during a typhoon, drinking beer and playing pool by flashlight?
You betcha! Gotta drink 'em while they're cold!
Check out the sushi and Mongolian grill with Ralph and Jim and everybody?
Sounds like a lip-smacking thing to do, y'all!
I even went by myself to Hong Kong and to Taiwan.
Sure, they were USO-sponsored trips, but I was still solo.
That meant that when I found the woman from Okinawa who ran the tea shop in Taipei, and her brother invited me to go see "The Gods Must Be Crazy" with him, I went. He even took me to see some beautiful gardens there! I still have the jade ring he gave me.
(smile!)

All of those fond memories and feelings came rushing back to me in the darkened cinema tonight.
The movie was set in 1995, but fly-girl Carol Danvers was searching through her jumbled-up memories for clues to her identity.
There she was, singing karaoke! Playing pool and flirting with the fly-guys! Dancing with her best friend!
That's when I had the odd realization that I was watching myself in BigD.

No, I am definitely not saying I am Captain Marvel,
or that I ever was.
I'm just saying that Brie Larson has made her so realistic that I can see myself in that character.
See those hips on that almost-30 body, and those full thighs and fuller breasts?
Those are features of a maturing woman, not a girl.
Moreover, those are the features of a woman proud
of her curves, at peace with her body.
In the movie, the music is from the 1990's, and I could certainly see "Carol" eagerly moving out onto a dance floor for "Just A Girl"or "I'm Only Happy When It Rains" (two of my favorites).
Thank you, Stan Lee for so much, and thank you Roy Thomas for this character.
This 21st film of the Marvel Cinematic Universe shows that we've all come a long way, thanks to y'all's help.
Thank you, Mama and Daddy, too, for continuing
to bless me with your love and guidance.
Pennies from heaven, shimmering with a bright
gleam as they suddenly appear in my path...
right place, right time...
and exactly what i needed, when i needed it...
reminding me that i am still loved.

No comments: