Sunday, March 10, 2019

keeping it real


Today, I'm giving my sinuses a break from the pollen. I've been doing that a right good bit since being out in it, and the cold night air, for so long during Jim's tour.
Last night - and the night before - I was out in it. The Lucas Theatre had me for two of the three shows of "Newsies The Musical". I had seen the filmed professional production a couple of years ago and had very much enjoyed that slice of history through song and dance.
Hey, it was a musical! I'm peanut butter and those are my jam!
()smile!
Anywho, I had a realization tonight while watching the fine actors of Savannah Christian Preparatory School.
I much preferred the story when 'told' by actual children.
I'm not saying the actors at the Pantages Theatre didn't do a very good job...
but the story was about newspaper delivery boys, not men...
and having children in those roles breathed real life into the recount.
That made the event even more amazing, that children would come together to right a wrong done to them by adults.
Children are doing that again, now, though mostly in other countries. I credit Malala Yousefzais and her speech to the United Nations, back in 2013, for allowing young people to know that their voice against discrimination matters.
Greta Thunberg, a fifteen-year-old, has now taken her fight for climate change action to the United Nations' floor, tasking the world's political leaders to correct the misdeeds of the past three decades. It is only a matter of time before other youth heed that call and react. After all, it is their future on the line.

How about a little lighter bit of "real" now?
There's still a combative atmosphere, but it's all carefully orchestrated.
No, not another musical!
Instead, I'm speaking of a movie about wrestling, "Fighting With My Family".
Yes, I said "wrestling", and I mean the theatrical professional entertainment version, not the sport itself that my boyfriend Mike Young participated in at the post in Okinawa.
Those were fun bouts back then, involving several folks I knew.
This movie, however, was of much more recent vintage and I had never heard of Paige.
My watching of professional wrestling was limited to televised, late Saturday night events, watched with my Daddy and my three brothers in the late 1960's to early 1970's. The Assassins, The Bruiser and Crusher, the Fabulous Kangaroos, and other tag team artists, then André the Giant, Gorilla Monsoon, The Sheik, Ric Flair, Buddy Rogers, and others of that time period. All had catchy names and cool outfits.
One of the reasons I liked "Nacho Libre" were the magnificent wrestling costumes!
Maybe that's one of the attractions of superheroes for me?
Quite possibly.
(smile)
But what did I like most about this movie?
It had real professional wrestlers in it. I'm talking The Rock. I'm talking John Cena.
There were at least a dozen others in the group shots for the training sessions.
That was impressive.

Another recent film that kept it real was "Gully Boy".
This time, the wrestling was with words on a stage, in the form of rap battles.
Yes, I realize that this film is Indian.
No, that matters not one whit.
I know that Americans like to think rap is only performed here, but artists around the world have embraced this simple - and inexpensive - form of musical expression.
Japan?
Oh, please, of course they have it.
Germany?
Yes, even in Deutschland, folks.
Ireland?
Just click right here.
Australia?
Russia?
France?
Yeah, mate!
Ty eto znayesh'!
C'est vrai!
Truly, all that's needed for rap is someone who can write and speak poetry.
Shakespeare would have been known as a rap artist if he'd had a beat box.
I've even done it, right?
The movie seen at the Royal of Pooler...
which was also based on real people, rappers Divine and Naezy...
highlighted their 2015 song, "Mere Gully Mein"...
and had US rapper Nas as an executive producer.
I'm sure some of the rappers, including Dub Sharma, were real, too.
Thanks for keepin' it real, y'all.
(smile)

1 comment:

faustina said...

"Student Led Climate Strikes Happening in 130+ Countries"

https://www.ecowatch.com/school-strike-for-climate-2631719370.html?utm_campaign=RebelMouse&socialux=facebook&share_id=4467410&utm_medium=social&utm_content=EcoWatch&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR33CtRO-8yW2ieHSu6Gt3FTgM3VJBjHrIUB_6zbIaIILFzJ8a2G0PXTl8o

Buckle up, baby, the ride is taking off...