Friday, March 1, 2019

it's just a jump to the left...

Or, perhaps, it's a step to the right?
Whichever direction and whatever move made, it's very much a time warp!
Here's the difference, though.
This particular dance number hopscotches through the twentieth century, sometimes skipping forward a few decades, then bouncing backward briefly before rebounding. That's basically the motion of a Super Ball, as it careens from surface to surface around a room. Quite entertaining to watch!
The same is certainly true for "Hello Again", a musical which debuted two decades after Dr. Frank N. Furter came upon the scene.
Get it? Pun intended, y'all!
And why not?
This latest adventure in Collective Face Ensemble's season of "ruptured romances" has folks coming and going all over the place.
And there I went again!
Hahahaha hahaha!
But seriously, this truly appealed to me for so many reasons!
First and foremost is, naturally, my complete and total love of musicals.
Bring on the Bollywood, please!
Make sure I can hear the children singing, too!
Got an opera or two? I'll take those, gladly!
Country music, pop music, chitty chitty bang bang - I love it all!
(smile)
Secondly, I adore burlesgue, ever since my exposure to them in the Navy.
There's a pun hidden in there, somewhere. No, it was certainly not intended, it just popped out.
As I said, I adore burlesque, especially southern-style!
I like it even better when a bit of Tim Burton madness reigns onstage!
Let's face it: if there's fringe involved, I'm your gal!
(smile)
Thirdly, I enjoy watching the interactions of people from different walks of life..
If they're in R. Kelly's closet
, trying to break free, I'm there!
How about those from the P-FLAG sphere, whether from this country or abroad, whether of recent vintage or nicely aged??
I even relish the antics of folks closer to home!
(smile)
That last entry featured another thing I mightily relish: time travel!
Primarily, I satisfy that itch in the form of film. "Tomorrow I Will Wake Up And Scald Myself With Hot Tea". "The Age of Adaline". "Wolverine". "Peggy Sue Got Married". "Groundhog Day". "Next". "Christmas All Over Again".
(smile)
So, what did David Poole have for me this time?
A musical...
with a burlesque feel to it...
featuring people of diverse nature...
being bounced about in time travel!
(smile)
That's not to say the people were conscious of any time travel occurring.
No.
The time travel aspect was for our benefit, the audience at this peep show into the lives of various characters as they carried out age-old power plays.
As Shakespeare has said, there is nothing new under the sun... especially when it comes (there's that word again!) to human interactions, where the currency is sex.
Soldiers and whores, would-be starlets and film makers, demure housewives and traveling husbands, politicians and pretty young things, bored wives and naive students, aging businessmen and young seekers of security... they were all there, as well as others.
It didn't even matter, really, whether the vignettes were set in 1901 or 2002 or 1956 or 1929 or 1989 or at some other random year.
Those same powerful thrusts between takers and givers has existed for as long as humans have roamed the globe.
Thanks, y'all, for daring to put it all out there tonight!
(smile)

No comments: