Thursday, March 28, 2019

30th smf, day one, concert two (for me)


I had meant to post this one with the earlier show!
As I arrived for my first shift for the first show on this first day, I had paused.
Might it be possible for me to capture a sunshower effect to document the moment?
My aging phone refused to allow me to see what I was shooting blind.
Fortunately, the two photographs turned out quite well!
i thank You, God!

This evening found me at the Lucas for a double bill.
Steep Canyon Rangers were the opening band, a lively six-piece group out of North Carolina.
This was not their first rodeo at the Savannah Music Festival, nor will it be their last, I'm sure.
My favorite song was "Can't Get Home", a tune in the same vein as a thirty-year fave, Steve Earle's "Copperhead Road".
Both have military folk returning changed to a static homeland.
I know that experience myself.

The headliner, the Del McCoury Band, had the bottom of the bill.
The quintet featured the octogenarian with two sons (on banjo and mandolin), plus a bassist and a magnificent fiddle player, who took up the instrument at age 16 after hearing Del sing.
I totally get that.
Del's voice is clear and sweet as mountain air, lifting all who hear it to a higher clime.
"Bluest Man In Town" was his opener, hooking me right away with this tune they've played together since Del's hair was red.
(smile)
They played for about thirty minutes, then asked the audience for requests.
I am absolutely serious!
And the folks who'd come to listen had them perform "All Aboard", a lively gospel song, as well as "Get Down On Your Knees and Pray", a quieter piece with beautiful, mesmerizing harmonizing - oh, my!
One requested ballad - "1952 Vincent Black Lightning" - proved too much for his memory. (But I have it right here for the bfe and anyone else. Inside joke, y'all.)
No such problem for any of the others, even a really long and humorous one like "40 Acres And A Fool" or the ominous murder ballad "Eli Renfro".
I'd like to say I knew this bluegrass-folk band, but I really didn't.
The only song I recognized was "Nashville Cats", a song I hadn't heard since my youth.
I danced along anyway, of course, to all the tunes!
They're definitely on my radar now, as are their bill mates.
Thanks for the show, y'all!
Catch you on the flip side!
(smile)

1 comment:

faustina said...

This evening double-header was worth $65 to those in the 'orchestra center' section.
What a marvelous 'birthday60' treat for me!
I am so blessed!