Saturday, March 30, 2019

30th smf, day three

I can just hear it now.
"Wait a minute, there, girlie! Did you lose count? Where's day two?"
Right?
Well, my dears, I had no ushering responsibilities yesterday.
Ergo, no 'day two of the Savannah Music Festival' events are reflected here.
To tell the truth, the only reason I had that second event on the first day was because someone else canceled their volunteer slot for it.
Good for me that I responded to the festival's call!
(smile)


Tonight's concert, though, was another matter altogether.
When the website opened earlier this month for the volunteers to make our choices, this was the very first one on my list.
Was it because of mandolin-player Chris Thile's show on PBS radio?
No, I'm 'fraid not. (Hear that old pun? Hahahaha hahaha!)
I actually didn't know "A Prairie Home Companion" was no longer on the air.
Was my desire to see the Punch Brothers based on my fondness of their music?
No, I can't claim that rationale, as I didn't know their songs.
Then, what was the reason I so wanted to work this show?
Word of mouth.
I had heard from the other volunteers who had worked the 2009 and 2014 shows here.
My guess was that the quintet must be excellent if folks of all ages were praising them.
Since the group looks to have a five-year periodicity with Savannah, I knew to catch them on this trip... or wait until 2024.
Now, please!
And now it was.
I even had a penny flash down by my feet out in the lobby to confirm I was...
wait for it...
right place, right time.
(smile)
The fans were hungry for the Punch Brothers, too, selling out the Trustees Theatre.
That's one thousand two hundred seats.
With "My, Oh, My", I understood the attraction to these brothers from other mothers.
Like train conductors do with tickets, they were able to punch our hearts with their rhythms, while also punching into our intellect with their lyrics.
Such layered harmonies!
Such intricate tone and speed changes!
Even not knowing these bluegrass-folk-classical tunes, my body responded and I found myself singing along, as if I had heard them in my sleep for so long... incredible.
What really amazed me was this: they have a song about baseball!!!
Actually, "Movement and Location" was inspired by Greg Maddux, the master of both parameters during his pitching career in the 1990's. That made quite an impact (get the joke?) on songwriter Chris Thiles in his teen years.
(smile!)
My favorite tonight, hands down, was "The Angel Of Doubt". Picture this. Everyone is grooving to the tune, including yours truly. About halfway through, I realize how ingenuous the song truly is, as it switches into spoken word format, and then, slickly holding the listener's ear with both hands, launches into full-on rap with demonic fiddle as accompaniment.
Wow.
I mean... Wow.
And to think that was first aired on a PBS show!
I also very much liked their sweet love song of a couple growing older together. In fact, I so enjoyed several of the songs they performed from their Grammy-winning album, "All Ashore" that I just may have to buy it.
Seriously.
I'm so glad I was in the right place, right time tonight!
i thank You, God!

2 comments:

faustina said...

Lest I forget:
This 'birthday60' treat would have cost me $65.
Thank you to SMF!

faustina said...

Glory, glory!

As well as finding tidbits of Jon Cleary, I also located some Punch Brothers music from their SMF concert!

https://www.savannahmusicfestival.org/2020/04/21/savannah-music-festival-live-1246-punch-brothers-2019/