Sunday, June 5, 2022

big-time bananas sunday

My first reaction was surprise.
Were the Savannah Bananas doing television commercials now?
Really?
Why would they pay money for those when they're already selling out every game?
In fact, they're overselling, and have been for quite some time.
Trying to find a seat can be pretty hard these days.
There are games when I stand for the first two hours, waiting for those with kids to leave so I can get a place on a bench.
Then I realized that this footage seemed to be part of a news story!
When the piece ended and the morphed sun logo appeared, I knew what the deal was before I pulled up the tv listings.
The Savannah Bananas had rated a place on "CBS Sunday Morning"!
I don't recall seeing Jesse Cole, or hearing him talk about the Banana Ball World Tour or his new book, but I would have expected that to have been part of the piece.
Somehow, I must have missed that.
No worries, I'm sure the boys will have that segment referenced on the Bananas web site.
Still, I'll be sure to let some out-of-towners know about this foray into the limelight.
What a trip!

2 comments:

faustina said...

Finally!
I just watched the episode - on youTube, naturally - and it was all about "Banana Ball", not regular baseball.
And, yes, Jesse was on camera for a bit, as well as my favorite catcher of all time, Bill LeRoy.
As the Banana Ball World Tour has been over since the end of April, this segment must have been filmed in either March or April.
Here's the link!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmJBDn2sSww

faustina said...

Just to emphasize: this wasn't about the games the Savannah Bananas play as part of the Coastal Plains League every summer since 2016.
This article on "CBS Sunday Morning" was ONLY about the abbreviated, 2-hour maximum, Banana Ball games which are part of their self-devised World Tour.