Thursday, June 30, 2022

golfers, et alia


Well, I got my AMC A*List trio done today!
On Sunday afternoon, I'd ventured forth for the Sally Hawkins film about golf.
As is par for the course, she brought her A-game to this one, as the ever-loving, ever-supportive wife of a middle-aged man who suddenly develops a fascination with being in the British Open.
(Got that little golf humor? Hahahaha!)
Based on the true story of Maurice Flitcroft, the story is delightful!
As an encouragement to all of us to follow our dreams, whether it is to be a painter in the same vein as Picasso or a late-bloomer golfer like Arnold Palmer, the most important factor is to try.
Just that: try your hand at it, you just might surprise the world.
(smile!)
Indeed, I enjoyed the film so much, I used my third A*List selection to see it again, this very afternoon, and enjoyed it as much as I had the first time.
I had originally intended to see "Lightyear" again, but changed my mind, as the animated film will still be available tomorrow, but this sports movie will not.
As for the second film of my trio, I used that for the first Big D movie I've seen in a while.
I was one of ten in a screening room that seats 500.
Sure, it was a weekday afternoon... but it may have been the movie.
I had hoped "Elvis" would be a concert-rich film, like the TV special on it last week.
Sadly, that was not the case at all.
The entire movie was told from the perspective of "Colonel" Tom Parker, a carnival huckster who spent his life dependent on the talents of others to make his living.
Rather than a story about Elvis Presley, the movie was full of the false notions of the man that Parker perceived Presley to be.
What a box of sour grapes that was.
It reminded me a lot of "The King", a 2017 movie which I saw in 2018
That movie's hook to tie it to Elvis was one of Presley's cars, used as the eye catcher on the road trip that was the format used.
Neither movie left me with a desire to view them ever again.
And both movies, near the end, used the exact same footage from the televised concert with Elvis in July of 1977, with him crooning "Unchained Melody".
Seeing the man miss his mom, hearing his loss still in his voice after almost two decades - that was the only part of the movie that touched me...
and it had nothing to do with the script or the director or the actor.
Better luck next time, y'all.
Now, let me go through the mail.
My other COVID tests arrived today, so I now have seven to use.
I'll run another check of my status tomorrow and hope that it's negative.
Meanwhile, I'll continue to mask up around others.
I called the cardio doc today, as per my PCP, to let him know I've got COVID.
Paige is the one I spoke to, of course, so I'm hoping she enters the note into my record.
She is certainly a vivid ditzy!
(smile!)

No comments: