Thursday, June 16, 2022

concert! live! boot scootin' boogie time!

I did you not!
When my sister-in-law Laura texted this morning to see if I wanted to go with her to see Brooks & Dunn, I didn't even have to think about my response.
"Yes!!!"
Of course, that word "free" helped.
If I'd had to come up with the $45.85 for my seat, I probably would have declined.
Instead, the tickets had been won by Robin and Laura was to have gone with her.
Then Robin came down with COVID ('cause the omicron variant of the coronavirus is in its 15th variation and is still making the rounds).
That meant Laura had been gifted both tickets... and Dood didn't want to go... hooray!
I had not been to a concert since the last time I was a volunteer for the Savannah Music Festival... which was before the pandemic!
Moreover, this was the first trip to the new Enmarket Arena for both of us!
Nice to have shared that experience with her!
The tickets put us in Section 106 (which was only about one section away from the stage), in Row J (not quite halfway down the stairs), in Seats 17 and 18 (on the end of the row that was closest to the stage).
Seriously good seats!
We were there about thirty minutes before the first act took the stage, having dined on Arby's (my treat) in the parking Lot F (her treat).
As close as the lot was to the arena, it was still quite a long walk in the crazy hot heat, so I still had to take little breaks... but, wow, the arena was so nice and cool!
 
Then, like I said, the first act took the stage.
Tyler Braden was pretty good, but he's definitely not known well yet, with lots of empty chairs out there.
However, two things about him stand out.
First, he had something to do with the Goo Goo Dolls and played a bit of "Name" during his 45-minute set.
Second, he was one of the participants in "The Great American Song Contest", representing the state of Tennessee with his song, "Seventeen".
That was one of the ones he performed, too!
After a short set change, Jordan Davis took the stage and didn't relinquish it for an hour.
My favorite song, that he performed with great gusto?
I was dancing all over my seat to that 1970 tune, whether anyone else was or not!
I couldn't help but think of Melinda and Matt with that one!
I'll have to make sure I link them up with that, for sure.
Then, another quick change on the stage... and it was time for the headliners to take it on, starting strong with "Brand New Man" and getting the crowd on their feet and singing along!
Hey, I even knew those words by heart!
Kix Brooks and Ronnie Dunn followed that opener with two more chart toppers - "My Next Broken Heart" and "Mama Don't Get Dressed Up For Nothing"... though I would swear they'd changed it to "Papa" instead of "Mama".
Seriously, I thought that's what they said!
That's certainly how it went in my head!
Plus they did "We'll Burn That Bridge" and (you better kiss me 'cause) "You're Gonna Miss Me When I'm Gone".
I do so love the humor in country lyrics!
The one that had Laura singing every word was "Red Dirt Road", which I was only glancingly familiar with.
 
That's okay.
I made up for that lack with "Lost And Found" (in a border town, asking about a diamond ring) - lol!
Then they got everyone wanting to dance with "Rock My World (Little Country Girl)" - what a series of images on the screen behind them for that!
We were all ready for them to "Play Something Funky" - and they did, too!
Then they slowed things down a bit for a poignant crowd sing-along of "Neon Moon" that very nearly brought Dunn to tears.
Wow.
Very touching moment, followed by two more favorites that I could have ended the concert on.
The first of those followed a personal story by Ronnie Dunn, about going to seminary.
"I Believe" was definitely a heartfelt song, with deep meaning to him.
Wow.
Then, the band finally gave us "My Maria", one of the two that I'd told Laura I was there to hear, and it was done beautifully!
Wow.
Then they walked off stage... 
and came back with the other song I was waiting for as their first encore!
I felt like I was in Vegas, baby, with all that neon for "Boot Scootin' Boogie"!!!
Wow.
Wow.
Wow.
What a wonderful night!
Country isn't one of my groove things...
but I was married to a music man who made it part of my life when he worked at KIX 96 and a half, and when he later worked at 94 FM, the other local country station.
i thank You, God.
Thank you, too, Laura, for taking me with you!

No comments: