Monday, September 18, 2023

day 4 of i miss my car: on a kayak with jazz


How wonderful to be at one of my favorite venues again.

I do so love the Lucas Theatre.

Surprisingly, a volunteer I knew was there!

When I asked Cindy Goldberg if they were allowing us to volunteer again, she told me she "just showed up!" and they put her to work.

How very cool to know!


I was there with the J-Dawg for "Miles Davis: Birth Of The Cool", the movie offering for this year's 41st Annual Savannah Jazz Festival.

The 2019 film followed the jazz trumpeter throughout his career, documenting his constant quest for change and innovation in his music.

As I told the bfe afterward, "there was no such thing as hearing his greatest hits at one of his concerts, he only played his new songs."

That was echoed by his son, Erin Davis, as well as his nephew, Vince Wilburn, Jr..

The family didn't hear his albums being played, only those by the latest musicians that Miles Davis found interesting and inspiring.

James Brown's youngest daughter happened to be in the audience and she said that wasn't the case in her family, as the 'Godfather of Soul" had his own music playing all the time!


Here's the post-movie panel: the Savannah Jazz rep on the far left; director Stanley Nelson by his side; Miles' nephew, Vince, in the middle; Miles' son, Erin; then a SCAD professor.

I appreciate that they had the lighting set for the darker-toned men this time.

Most of the questions from the audience were addressed to Vince and Erin, of course, but there was one I found interesting that was asked of the director.

A film student wanted to know how long the documentary took to make.

Stanley Nelson was honest: documentaries usually take five to ten years, sometimes more, because the writers and directors keep having to fund raise to continue.

He was able to complete the film in one year, as two parties came forward to totally back it.

Wow.

So, I checked his credentials when I got home.

Holy cow, the man is a MacArthur fellow!!!

Once upon a time, I wouldn't have know what that was, but thanks to "The Big Bang Theory", I know that "Genius Grant" carries a purse of $500,000 to the recipient.

He received that in 2002, when he was 51 years old.

Wow.

He has also premiered ten documentaries, including this one screened here tonight, at the Sundance Film Festival over the past two decades.

How about some perspective on that?

Stanley Nelson is the only director to have ever had that honor.

Wow.

What an interesting night this has been!

I had bought the tickets and the bfe bought us dinner.

We dined at Kayak Kafe on Broughton, a place new to him.

Bonus points to me for recommending it!

I had the Vegan Tater Tots Nachos, which were quite good!

I forget what he had, but he included tater tots as a side.

(smile!)

No comments: