Wednesday, September 6, 2023

trying something new with gamers

Hey, I saw the words "board games" and thought they were speaking to me!
Turns out I may be a generation off from that crowd.
Still, I did sally forth to Morningstar Games this evening, so...
big points to me for trying!
There were eight who had signed up for the Savannah Gaming Hub meetup.
Five were there, including me.
I knew Celeste, as she is also with CASH.
She's also the reason I can say "a" generation, as I know she's 45.
So, that's one generation off from me.
(smile!)
 
The other three were probably late 20's to mid-30's.
Surprisingly, only one gamer was a guy!
His name was Pearce and he'd bought several games for the group to play.
I brought "The Big Bang Theory Trivia" and he was the only one who didn't scoff.
Guess they don't do that sort of board game.
In fact, the first game we played wasn't even a "board game" at all!
Called "Cartography", or something similar, it was all about drawing on a grid, with strategic placement of rivers, marshes, forests, orchards, crops, fishing villages, and towns, in accordance with images on cards of several types in the deck.
When Pearce passed out the maps, he actually asked if I wanted to play.
I think I scored points with him simply by saying "yes".
As for the two younger women there, they were impressed that I used a pen to draw - everyone else used a pencil with a good eraser!
And when the "monster" cards came out and we had to draw those on another player's card, they liked how the ink really stood out.
(smile!)
Monsters had little mask faces, rivers and marshes had squiggly lines, towns and villages epitomized the term "tiny houses", forests and orchards had three little circles, and crops had diagonal furrows.
Very simplistic drawings that even I could do!
What I couldn't do was properly tally my score.
That's okay, as this was my first time..
Should I ever play this again, I'll know better.
Not that I think I'll rush out and buy it, but I will add this: it's a fast-paced game, as there is a time limit for each of the four rounds, so no sitting and agonizing over placement!
(smile!)
I abstained from the next game, partly because it was for only four players, partly because it was another strategy game, though this time with cards and dice.
Lots of dice, in sets of five, representing the different monsters that would be doing battle.
Trolls and witches and ghosts, oh my!
It reminded me of "Dungeons and Dragons", but without the role-playing.
I watched them play for about an hour, then excused myself and went home.
 
I had a Texas Roadhouse grilled pork chop waiting for me, and more salad, too!
Yes, yes, the restaurant was having its Family Chicken Dinners and Family Pork chop Dinners on special again, so I'd bought one of each!
Those will keep my food budget nicely augmented, as each package was less than $30 for four 8-oz grilled pieces of meat, eight dinner rolls, plus salad, corn, and mashed potatoes for four.
That's less than $8 per serving, which puts it right in line with the church's Wednesday Night Suppers.
What a great deal!
I knew the salad wouldn't last long, so I've been sure to turn that into four BIG salads, topped with 4 ounces of either chicken or pork, for lunch and dinner yesterday and then lunch and dinner today.
The rolls have been the bread to give me a pork chop sandwich and a chicken sandwich yesterday, plus a chicken sandwich for breakfast today.
And some of the bread was eaten just because it was so good!
(smile!)
I froze quite a bit of the food, too, to keep it from spoiling and to spread out the feasting.
I figure the corn can be added to a rice dish or a soup.
The mashed potatoes can be turned into soup, along with some of the corn.
And maybe I'll even have mashed potatoes pancakes some morning!
Who knows how many meals I won't have to cook from scratch?
So far, it's been five...
hallelujah!
(smile!)

No comments: