Friday, May 12, 2017

spirits in the material world!


Yesterday saw the entry of three movies into Faustina's Film Festival.
A tripleheader!!!
Even better, these were all free!
(smile!)
All three featured spiritual beings, too.
I admit, I was quite pleased to have configured this themed trio!
However, I also admit that I had first thought all three were about ghosts, but I was incorrect.
Only one had a ghost.
The other two starred a genie and a spirit, respectively.
What's the difference?
Well, let's compare and contrast, shall we?
You know I like to do that.

Beings capable of having tangible bodies are the genie and the spirit.
That said, only the genie is capable of touching and holding solid objects, including other physical bodies.
Both the ghost and the spirit once were part of a living human being.
The difference is that the human body for the spirit still is living, though in a greatly diminished capacity (such as a coma).

So, let's go to the movies!


My afternoon delight - quite literally - was with Shah Rukh Khan in the 2005 Bollywood film, "Paheli", when he was 40 years old.
Ooh la la!
Double the pleasure, too - the man was in two roles! He starred as both the indifferent husband, Kishan, and as the unnamed - and puppet-accompanied - genie, who fell in love with Lachchi, the new bride, during a momentary stop of the wedding caravan at his oasis.
The husband leaves town the day after the wedding for a five-year, unaccompanied, business trip for his dad, abandoning his new wife...
but he stopped at the same oasis and chatted about his trip with the genie...
which allows the genie to go to the bride and present her with the riddle of which man does she want...
the real, but only-business-minded - and uninterested and absent - husband...
or the genie who can be with her for the next five years, the genie who loves her so much that he is honest from the start about his identity, respecting her enough to not want to deceive her?
Every woman's ideal, to have a man who values both her love and her thoughts!
How did it end?
I already told you I had afternoon delight!
(smile)


My second selection was the 2006 film, "I See You".
Honestly, I knew it was an Indian film, but I had thought it might be in English, because of the title and because it was set in London.
Nope.
So that meant I had to again sit close to my 15" television to keep track of the story.
Good story, too, so that was worthwhile!
(It also introduced a young actress, Vipashi Agarwhal, who seems to have vanished - bwah ha ha! - from the silver screen, acting in only this one film. No need to fret, though! She is now a renowned model.)
What was the story? Raj (played by the dashing Arjun Rampal, also a model), a recent London transplant, interviews a detective on his talkshow. That evening, he returns to his apartment and finds it inhabited by Shivani, the former tenant. Even though he can touch her, she is a spirit that only he can see and hear.
What was the coincidence which freed her from her comatose body and allowed her to contact him?
Well, there was the apartment, for starters...
but also the introduction in Raj's life of the cop, the very same one investigating suspicious deaths at the hospital where Shivani was once a doctor and now in a coma.
Very nice!


Then there was my grand finale, this time from 1966!
"The Ghost In The Invisible Bikini" is one of my favorites, with my first viewing of it in late December of last year, when a series of lighthearted beach party movies made the scene on my tiny screen.
(smile)
I had saved it, using ON DEMAND, and have watched it several times, including tonight.
What's the attraction?
You mean besides the singing and dancing and scanty beach fashions on young bodies?
(smile!)
Well, I like the leather-clad Erik von Zipper (Harvey Lembeck)and his RATT pack of humorous motorcycle hooligans, too!
This time, the gang is out riding through low-lying billboards when Erik is rescued from drowning by a princess. He and his group ride after her to the mansion of the newly-deceased Hiram, Baby (as he is known by the ghost, Cecily, once his magician's assistant).
Hilarious!
Plus, it's a movie about redemption and second chances and I do so enjoy those!
The scoundrel Hiram has been granted twenty-four hours to perform a good deed and be granted access to heaven. With Cecily's help, he chooses to make sure his fortune goes to his heirs (including the now-grown children of two men he had financially bankrupted during his circus days) instead of being swindled by his slimy barrister.
Hilarious and heartwarming!

So, I've had a day of music and dancing, with a little magic bookending the movie trio!
Fabulous!

Please note: as I wrote this, I've been listening to the soundtrack of "The Phantom Of The Opera".
Please also note that a phantom is not a corporeal being, but is a real human being, though scarcely seen, and not to be confused with a phantasm.
(Don't you just love it when a theme falls in place? Maybe the great 'Tess brought this particular one to me! She was rather adept with manipulating airwaves and my thoughts... I do miss that kitteh.)

i thank You, God, for this blessing, of both free time and free etertainment!
As they say in Hindi: bhagavaan aasheervaad, priy!


No comments: