Sunday, May 28, 2017

three spirits, Mary Poppins, and odd lovers


"Hahaha! You look like Mary Poppins!"
"Is he cool?"
"Hell, yeah, he's cool."
"Hey, everybody! I'm Mary Poppins!"

So went the conversation between StarLord and Yondu Udonta.
With Peter Quill having been raised on Earth, circa the 1980's, he is a wealth of pop culture references that the other folks in the universe simply do not understand. Then again, how could they even be expected to know such trivia? It's actually quite sweet of Quill - and part of his natural good nature - to not riff on their ignorance.
And it's really cool that we, in the audience, get to share these inside jokes with Quill.
Maybe I'll keep track of those references the next time I see the movie...
(smile)


Last night, though, I had the great pleasure of actually seeing Mary Poppins!
I truly did!
The Savannah Children's Theatre has graced us with the musical play, "Mary Poppins", for three weekends. Last night was just about exactly halfway through its run.
How completely, supercalifragilisticexpialidociously delightful!
Can you believe it's only about fifteen years old? It combines elements from the book and songs from the Disney film and is totally English in its tone.
As I said, completely, supercalifragilisticexpialidociously delightful!
My favorite part, of course, was with the chimney sweeps tapdancing for "Step In Time"...
but no tears on this occasion.
Hooray!

I had gone to the play as a break from movies.
Yesterday, I saw three movies - three! - and had only left home one time, in the morning, for my Weight Watchers meeting.
On that one trip, I also spent the check Kroger had "given" to me, payable only to them.
That's okay - I used it to "let them" buy me lunch!


Is that not the most beautiful bowl of chirashi you've ever seen?
It was quite delicious, too, and went very nicely with the fresh blackberries!
Very nice as a pre-birthday meal!

It was especially a treat
served alongside this classic
from 1966!
"It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown"
has a special place in my heart,
as I may have mentioned before.
How wonderful to find that it was
ON DEMAND as a free movie
for my viewing pleasure!
(Actually, it will be free
until almost Halloween,
so be sure to go and enjoy it!)

After that spirited romp, I was in the mood for another!
"Illusion" had plenty of real ghosts -
not just a frisky beagle under a sheet.
(smile)
I had expected something akin to the yuletide story
of Scrooge and his ghosts -
I was incorrect!
This film starred Kirk Douglas as the dying director,
with Stan, his ghostly "cutter", at his side,
and had much more depth than I had expected.
Bravo, Michael Goorjian, for a tale well-told!

Then, I went to see Mary Poppins do her thing.

But when I returned, I decided for one more
spirited adventure in film!
This time, I chose "High Spirits", a 1988 movie
that I had "taped" back in late December,
but never watched.
(Perhaps it was meant to rival "Beetlejuice"?)
Great fun, with Daryl Hannah and Liam Neeson
as a ghostly couple haunting
Peter O'Toole's castle and newlyweds
Steve Guttenberg and Beverly D'Angelo!
Definitely dysfunctional lovers!

Still more odd loving was going on
in this afternoon's movie, "The Lovers".
For a change, I had company for this one!
Barbara and Jackie joined me at the Regal.
Very nice!
Even nicer was the free dessert I had at slunch with Boo at Carrabbas beforehand.
Limoncello Bread Pudding is back!!!
She ate the ice cream.
I kep thinking about letting her have a taste, but all of a sudden...
it was all gone!
Maybe next time, Barbara!
(smile)

No comments: