Wednesday, May 17, 2017

birthdays, bonefish, and blood


Hey, you should be well-acquainted by now with my penchant for both alliteration and trios, non e vero?
(One of the nurses I went to Italy with in 2012 is back there again, again with a group of student nurses. I do so wish I was there, too! Perhaps in 2022, as that fits my periodicity for that journey.)
So, just what am I on about on this occasion?
Well, let's take it from the top - the top of the day, that is!
I gave blood, as I am wont to do around this time of year.
This time, Tanya was the one who did the deed, and quite entertainingly, too!
I appreciate that!
Then I took my Lane Bryant birthday coupon in search of new clothes.

(I originally intended the 30% off treat to be used for new panties and had gone to the mall on Sunday for that purpose.
However, the store had moved, so I shopped at Target instead.
Success!
Ten new panties for less than twenty dollars!
Can't let a shopping trip go unrewarded!
After all, it is rare for me to I shop for clothes.)


Sadly, there was naught there that tugged at my wallet, but I did receive inspiration... and some very good advice from the sales clerk, too. She suggested I move my search for a new nightgown three stores over, to Ross.
I appreciate that!

Success!
Just look at this flirty little number!
And guess what it was called???
Beachside Bonfire!!!
Hey, I may even choose to wear it as a dress...
even though it's a bit snug...
but that's in all the right places!
(wink wink, nudge nudge!)

Success!
I also found this lovely, more traditional, summer-weight nightgown and robe set!
Aqua Mosaic Paisley is its name.
It will be perfect for las tres amigas' trip to Beech Mountain next month.
What a nice coincidence for me!
(smile)
Total cost for the two gowns and robe?
Less than forty dollars!

Of course I returned to show the young woman who had recommended the store!
I'll have to remember to return to Lane Bryant when the summer dresses go on sale...
I saw at least five styles that featured side pockets!!!

Next - time for dinner!
To Bonefish with one of my $10 Bonus cards from December!
Tonishia was my waitress, bringing me bread fresh from the oven, house salad with exactly enough grape tomatoes and kalamata olives, and the centerpiece of my meal: ahi tuna!
Divine!

By this time, night had fallen.
Time for Faustina's Film Festival to kick into gear!
Tonight featured a series of twelve shorts, six which were new, six I had viewed before.
That means only six will be counted towards my tally.
No, I will not tell you which of the six!
I'm not even going to tell you the order in which I viewed them!
Hahahaha hahaha!
But I will group them, as several pairs share a theme.
(smile)
"Third Timothy" and "Post Life" both concern mothers who have killed their children, one through alcohol abuse, the other by postpartum psychosis. Both were quite intense and told their tales in less than twenty minutes. Well done!
"Stolen" and "The Wolf of Waubamik Woods" both star young Native American women, both running away from a bad situation... and straight into a worse one. Interestingly, they are also both set in Canada.
Two shorts that confront Alzheimer's disease, but from different points of view, are "Gray Matters" and "Alzheimer's: A Love Story". In the former, a man undergoing experimental treatment is responding...and reverting to the unreported child molester he was. In the latter, a man is seen interacting with the now-shuttered man he has loved for forty years, though with limited response from his partner. Both are scary, and sad.
(On a side note: this is a topic I have supported for many years. I strongly suggest that you check out this website for more information.)
"Side Effects" and "2 Self-Help Books Away From Being Perfect" have the female protagonist searching for love. In the first film, the woman overlooks the man at home, with some serious consequences. The second one is laugh-out-loud funny as the woman tries to be what she thinks a man wants!
The last four of the dozen viewed treat the subject of grief. "Judy's Child" concerns the feelings of a woman whose mother is dying. "Surrender at Crow Lake" follows a man lost from his faith after divorce. "Solace" is focused on a teen girl who finds comfort by helping another in distress.
And the fourth in this category is a real-life story from Maryland - and my favorite. In "Goodbye Charm City", a mother of a slain young man open forgives his murderer in court... but that young man is sentenced to death as a message from politicians to the gangs in town. I like that she tried to sway that decree. Even more than that, though, I love that she chose to release the hate and not give in to the dark side.
Very healthy...
and a fitting tone to end the day.

1 comment:

faustina said...

FYI: That brings my film count to FORTY, officially.

If I were to have included all of those in this Shorts Block, it would be forty-six.

Officially, I now have fourteen days in which to view nineteen more.
Sah-weet!