Sunday, May 7, 2017

merge, yield, and suicide methods


As I was driving to church this morning, I almost got run over by a beat-up pick-up truck that had refused to allow me to merge onto Veterans Parkway.
The driver even had the nerve to honk at me, as if I had done something wrong.
I can't believe how many drivers there are that do not know the difference between YIELD and MERGE.
In the case of YIELD, it is the responsibility of the driver on the side access (whether it is a smaller street onto a larger one or simply driving around the squares downtown) to be prepared to STOP and grant passage to the oncoming vehicle.
On the other hand, the MERGE sign places the responsibility of granting passage squarely on the shoulders of the driver on the faster-moving road, directing them to be prepared to slow down so the car on the on-ramp can safely blend into the traffic flow.
Seriously, this isn't rocket science.
Use a dictionary, people.

Somehow, as the above thoughts were once again rolling through my consciousness, something else surfaced.
Why had my niece chosen a gun as the means of her death?
It certainly had not seemed to be anything she would have done.
Myself? Well, I deliberately do not own a gun. I had a marksman's badge in the Navy, for both a 45 and an M-16, and am only too aware of the damage I could do with that type of weapon.
Would I chose that type of death?
I do not believe I would...
So, what might be a more acceptable means of bidding adieu to the world?
Poison?
Even the fastest-acting poison might still allow time for regrets. I knew a young woman at Florida State University who chose cyanide for her death. I was on the third floor of the Institute of Molecular Biophysics; she was on the first. I was told that she writhed around before succumbing.
That would not be the way out for me.
Hanging?
Honestly, that can go wrong and leave you paralyzed or comatose for the rest of your life, spending your days limited to a bed or wheelchair.
No, I would not want that.
Falling upon a blade?
Falling out of a tenth-floor window?
Falling out of a plane or off of a train?
No, no, no, and no.
I do not fall well. Chances are that I would break some bones, perhaps even my neck, and that would hardly be the end sought.
Drug overdose?
Please see reference to "poison" above.
Drowning?
I have enough of a fear of suffocation as it is. To me, drowning is simply another type of suffocation and is to be avoided completely.
Driving off a bridge or an overpass?
Believe it or not, Daddy did that one time. He was on Ambien and was not totally aware of his surroundings when he drove a bus (empty, thank God) off an overpass and landed on the road below.
Amazingly, he was not hurt.
He did lose his job, though.
So, that pretty much showed me that driving off anything might not accomplish the mission.
Drinking to death?
Please again see "poison". Besides, that method is a lot slower than you think and you might exist in a limited capacity for years before death finally takes you.

Church is about to begin, so I must leave you now.
Please let me know if you have any thoughts on these topics.
I doubt I will receive any responses, though.
Ever since I began this particular blog, I seemed to have wandered into the darknet of the ether world.
That's okay by me.
As I've said before, I write this for me and my peace of mind.

No comments: