Sunday, May 21, 2017

e.g., farraginous hodgepodge


I must say, this installment of Faustina's Film Festival has wandered all over the yard as if in a drunken or or otherwise intoxicated state.
Of course, the yard comes into play, as I have been mowing both the front and back ones, as well as cutting down stray trees and other brush.
Honestly, my arms, thighs, and lower back are so sore from the bending, bending, bending!
Still, the yards do look better, even the one across the street.

There, I have trimmed some of the downed limbs from the Mohawk Carpet's truck that careened through my neighborhood about two months ago.
It had slammed into the tree I like, dragging off branches and creating a horrid noise before crashing back out of Forest Hills subdivision.
Who's to say that was entirely a bad thing, though?
If those branches had still been in place, I might not have seen the reassurance I needed so last month.

Excuse me? Were you not discussing movies?

Oh...
But, of course I was! you can add another six to my viewed count, though, I tell you true, I very nearly stopped watching the sixth one tonight. Had it not been for Hank Azaria making a cameo appearance early on...

Which film was that? One in the cinemas now?

No, actually, it was one of the "free" ones ON DEMAND. It was courtesy of CRACKLE, an odd little thing unto itself. It reminded me of "The Young Ones", but not as funny.

And the name of it was...?

"Backwash".
Totally banal.
Honestly, I probably would not have
given it a go had it not been for
the mention of the ice cream truck.

Oh, really?
An ice cream truck, specifically?
I can see where that would have
brought to mind "After Hours",
the Griffin Dunne and Teri Garr flick that you liked.


Exactly.
Still, it wasn't a complete failure. It was broken into thirteen "chapters" of a fictitious book penned by Thackery. Each chapter was begun by a celebrity reading the mid-nineteenth century prose. Hank Azaria had "lost a bet" and was there for Chapter 2. Allison Janney was paid to do Chapter 3... you get the picture. My favorite part of this background noise was Dulé Hill, doing his tapdancing best to liven things up, at both the start and end of his brief strut on the stage for Chapter 5.
The most entertaining parts of the flick itself were those featuring Noah Emmerich as the bursting-into-song Sergeant Benjamin Belter. He was fabulous!!! Remember him as the best friend in "The Truman Show"?
Who knew he could sing???

Well, at least that cloud had some silver lining buried within. (smile)

That's true.
And so I kept searching
for its redemption
as I watched and debated whether to continue and
see whither it might lead
or stop it cold in its tracks.
I was hoping for something fun and light,
maybe with some fast cars.
After all, I watched "Smokey And The Bandit"
on the Regal's silver screen
earlier this evening
and I was looking for more action in that romping vein.

And how was the forty-year-old movie? Still holding up?

Most definitely!
I found the true-life budding romance between Burt Reynolds and Sally Field to be absolutely charming! He was 39 and she was 29, but that worked out just fine.
Jackie Gleason was a bit over the top, but that's okay - his appearance reminded me of Daddy.
Actually, Burt reminded me of Daddy, too, in his younger years. I guess that's hardly surprising, as they were born just two months apart in 1936!
(smile)

That's a fun fact! What can you tell me about those other four movies? You had said you'd seen six since the one at Tybee last Thursday...

And so I have. They had much better correlation, too. All were free ON DEMAND, as well. I've been making excellent use of that, let me tell you!

About time, too. After all, it's part of the cable you pay for each month...

Yeah, yeah, I get it. No such thing as free.
(smile)
But sometimes you get a much better deal than you had thought!
Take yesterday's duo, for example. I selected two Tyler Perry movies...

Oh, cool! I do so like that tall hunk of man! Come a little bit closer, you're my kind of man, so big and so strong...

Hey, that's enough outta you, girlie!
But I certainly do agree!
"Madea Goes To Jail", made in 2009, was first on the docket.
(smile)
She ends up in prison doing 5 to 7 years, just for wrecking a twit's car. How did such a heavy sentence follow that light crime?
Because a dirty lawyer was padding her cases to assure wins -
and help further her career.
Guess who found her out?
Another lawyer!
Turns out his college friend got a hard sentence, too, so he started snooping to find out why.

I followed that with "Madea's Big Happy Family".
Two years later, we find Madea tasked with getting Shirley's grown - and constantly bickering - children to go t their mother's house for dinner together.
You see, Shirley's cancer was back with a vengeance and all she wanted was to have all her children together when she told them the news.
That never happened.
She ends up telling them around her hospital bed as she was dying...
but one stubborn daughter even missed out on that.
There are no do-overs after someone dies, y'all.
These little "moral of the story" lessons are why I like the Madea movies!

Heard that!

Okay, on we go, backwards in time, to Friday's free duo!
"Your Highness" was total farce, a la "A Knight's Tale" and was something Jim should know about for PFS.
Seriously.
Marijuana-toting muppet mage?
Yep!
Multi-headed monster from a man's hand?
Yep, had that one, too.
Multi-eyed mystical wall?
Yes, that one as well.
And two brothers vying for their dad's attention by venturing on a quest for a unicorn-horn sword.

And what did the above have in common with "Chaar Sahibzaade: Rise of Banda Singh Badahur", an animated religious tale about four princes?
Magic, of course!
Swordplay, for sure!
Dancing? Of course there was dancing!
And a decapitated head in both, too.
Yuck!
But they were still quite a matched set in many regards.
And that's all I've got to say about that.
(smile)

No comments: