Monday, May 8, 2017

so easily called away


I may not be Uncle Albert, but I am Aunt Tina.
When a niece or nephew calls, I respond.
Even if that title "Nephew" is an honorific and not a relation by birth or blood.
Even if that title "Nephew" was bestowed as a barrier to allow my two laws of sexual intercourse to keep me from making passes at a guy in glasses who is the same age as my first niece.
Sigh.

He is now dating yet another young woman, with this one having gotten to the "in a relationship with" status on facebook. He's been wanting me to vet her since the Jason Isbell concert on April 1st.
No foolin'.
How can I recall the date so clearly?
I was sitting in my car, passing a little time between my stint as luncheon hostess and venue usher for the Southern rock concert on that date. I had snagged a prime parking spot and had opted to hang out downtown rather than go home between my shifts.
He had just had a date with his A&P2 lab partner and wanted to know when I could meet her.
I had told him I would be willing after they hit the two-month mark.
I eventually agreed to six weeks as the earliest that I would meet her.

After all, he's had me meet the last two fairly early on.
The German-Peruvian was his flame in December and January. That fire had been so bright that I had even invited them to dinner at my house one Tuesday in January, feasting all on Cornish game hens.
The beginning of February - and onset of the semester - had seen an end to that budding romance. The stresses of juggling classwork, house-buying, and care for her mother had become too overwhelming for her and she had called for a halt.
Then a Derby Devil skated into his life! Well, surfaced on plentyoffish, actually. I officially met her at Buffalo Wild Wings one night, though she only infringed on the dinner portion of "Tina Tuesday". And I ended up at the same improv show they were attending one night, quite by accident, and we had a lovely time with Prince memories!
Then she was abruptly gone from his life.
She was looking for a husband and family; the running bear was not looking to become a parent in the near future.
He had already been faced with that possibility in what turned out to be a swing/and/a/miss with a dental hygienist late last year.

him: So, I'm texting the cute dental hygienist (who was non-consensual cuddling the poodle) and she seems great. Then she is all...by the way...I might be a little pregnant by my ex-boyfriend, but it's a miracle, because after I had cancer...

me: Congratulations! Instant family. Tho that "little bit pregnant" is certainly a puzzler. :-)

him: #worstpeptalkever

me: Lol! Hey, you never know. At least you know she rides bareback.

him: #evenworsepeptalk

me: Sweet! My record is secured for the top two spots!

him: I'm just going to block her number. Thanks.

me: Harsh.

him: Really? I've had enough with emotionally manipulative dishonest women for one lifetime.

me: So more sperm certainly will not affect the situation in any adverse way. Right?

him: Right...because what is more fun than a pregnant dental hygienist? So we're clear (re: fun) I didn't help get her pregnant.

me: Plus pregnant women get really horny. So i have heard.

him: Goodnight...Tina. (I will not be paying for this therapy session.)


Hilarious, right?
That was shortly after Hurricane Matthew hit.
So let's fast forward to a more recent past. To wit, tonight.
I had been led to believe that Cedric would be with him and the pastry chef, post Philo, for a "family reunion" at Chili's.
Nope.
That was a bit of sleight of hand via phone.
I think he suspected - and rightly so - that I would not have shown had I known the truth.
Sigh.

Yes, she is a very smart cookie (pun intended) and made the Dean's List this semester.
Yes, she is charming and can carry on a conversation almost entirely single-handedly.
I like that she likes baseball.
I like that she rose to the challenge when queried about her favorite pastry to bake.
I like that she has realistic expectations about the workload of microbiology in the four-week course this summer.

That's what I intend to tell him when he asks how I liked her.
I also will reiterate that he should not expect to see much of her this summer.
We'll have to see how that plays out.

1 comment:

faustina said...

Well, as of last week, the pastry chef has moved on.
Kevin has been expecting that to occur. He and I even discussed such last Tuesday, when we were having an extra-leisurely dinner instead of our typical 'Tuesday with Kevin' time together.
I'm hoping I'll have more of his dear company in the future weeks...
(smile)
... until he lands another catch from 'plenty of fish'.