Sunday, December 2, 2018

real live tree for Christmas!


For the first time in almost thirty years, I have a real tree for the holiday.
How do I know how long it's been?
Well, I bought my 'permanent' tree in January 1989, after I had a car. The Silk Warehouse had them on clearance and that's when I bought the little mirrored train in this photo, too. I had left the tree up until after my birthday that first year.
This year, I bought this little fir for my birthday60.
It was the first year that the youth group of AMUMC offered a tabletop tree.
(smile)
The tree even came with its own stand!
Sadly, that stand was cracked down the middle.
I had not noticed the split when I had chosen the tree last Saturday.
I had only known that this tree was right for me.
Knowing my love of strays, my dearest Mama surely guided me to it.
(smile)
Now, how was I to keep the little fir alive?
I had tried the stand for my 'permanent' tree, but the new tree's trunk was too large.
To keep the little one from drying out, I swaddled its trunk with a kitchen towel, then soaked the towel, hoping for the best.
I called the church office on Monday.
Claudette told me they would order a new stand...
but it would not arrive until Saturday.
That was yesterday.
The new stand did arrive, but its smallest trunk setting was still too large for the tree's trunk. After inserting a wedge, I managed to get the little tree steady, as it made it through the night without toppling.
Still, I didn't want to trust Mama's golden-haired angel to its top, nor any of my other dear and breakable ornaments.
I've only used those decorations which are soft or plastic or otherwise sturdy enough to withstand a fall.
I do miss not having my older ornaments out this year.
I was especially missing those from Mama, until I realized that she is represented. That beautiful tree skirt is the one she made for me, so very long ago.
(smile)
I do have some of my usual decor on display, too.
The cross-stitch of "Twas the Night Before Christmas" is the one my Grandma made, back in 1990.
That's her photo, too, in the oval to the left.
The hanging towel was from my outlaw Kathy of Paris -
Paris in Tennessee, y'all.
(smile)
That crazy little hand towel with all the decorative
elf hats on it?
That was a gift from her, too, for another past Christmas.
She's always been so sweet about remembering me
at this time of year, even though I am no longer wed
to her step-brother.
(smile)
The bath towel is one of a matching set of bath linens crafted by my Aunt Barbara, just for me!
(smile)
She gave those to me at my first big family gathering.
Hard to believe that was four years ago...
time flies along, doesn't it?
What's with the Publix shopping bag on the door?
Well, that coincides with "A Charlie Brown Christmas" - and the live production of it, too - which I so enjoy!
And that sleigh bell?
With my own Polar Express, I can still hear it!
(smile!)
Wondering about Rudolph and all his little friends?
Sure, Yukon Cornelius and the Bumble were under my new little tree, but they're up on the tv center, too, with Sam the Snowman and Hermie and the square-wheeled train and the cowboy riding an ostrich!
Oh, wouldn't Sheldon be so jealous of him?
Why, yes, yes, he definitely would!
(smile)
What would Christmas be without this Energizer Bunny hanging out his stocking?
I wish I could recall when I gave this to my stepdad -
I just know my mother was still alive.
This is my eighteenth Christmas without her.
It's my seventh Christmas without Frank.
Hard to believe that much time has gone by...
time flies along, doesn't it?
i thank You, God, for the memories...
even those that bring tears.
Perhaps especially for those.
(smile)

1 comment:

Faustina said...

The photo of my little tree has garnered 33 likes/loves on fb! Well, how about that!