Monday, February 18, 2019

do you have a reservation?

I tell you what, I think I'm going to have to talk Kevin into this one for tomorrow.
Yes, even though I just saw it - just got home from it!
(smile)
What a strange series of circumstances I've had lately!
For instance, that thing last week, where he and I ended up seeing "The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part"?
Well, the original plan was to go see "Cold Pursuit", the new Liam Neeson movie.
However, the times were changed up!
Like with the Three Bears' porridge, one time was too early (5:45 PM) and one time was too late (8:35 PM), and no time was just right.
The running bear was feeling magnanimous and pronounced that it would be 'ladies choice' for dinner and movie. Taking into consideration his early rising time in the mornings, I'd chosen a quick trip to the food court at Savannah Mall, then straight to the Wynnsong after, with tickets already in hand.
He'd liked that last part.
(smile)
He'd liked the movie, too, though he had not expected to. All those horrible puns were absolutely fabulous!
(smile)
But, let me tell you, they were just greasy kid stuff compared to the delicious stuff tonight!
First, though, let me say that I originally had other plans tonight. I had told Barbara last week that I'd be at "Isn't It Romantic" at 4:45 PM with her and Sandy and Brenda, then out to Spanky's after.
Then I'd received the reminder email from Savannah Music Festival. The gate would be thrown wide at 5 PM on this same date. As a volunteer for several years now, I knew to be online with fingers poised... or accept whatever shows were left adrift when the tide swept back out again.
Nope, I didn't want to do that! There were seven shows in particular that I wanted. The cabaret show! The Broadway! The Goldberg variations dance! The high school jazz finale! The all grown up tenor! The Talking Heads interpretation! The Punch Brothers, who I had missed repeatedly!
Amazingly, I was able to snag a volunteer usher position for all seven!!!
Plus, I'll be working at the Ricky Skaggs concert - I got the last slot! I'm going to have several of those noon30 shows that I love, too. And - here's a bit of serendipity! - I even landed a place for a silent 1941 film set to new music.
I am so blessed!
(smile)
Now, then, what about this movie I attended tonight, you say?
The one we'd planned for before the Goldilocks rule intervened?
Well, here's how that went down.
I had contacted the psychologist on Saturday, to query his availability for the "just right" 7 PM being offered.
No go, as he had a date, but he had countered with how about Monday?
Well, I thought I still had plans with the girls, so I had suggested Sunday night, and he was good with that.
But then, the cinema changed up the showtimes. The 7 PM screening was no more and the 8:30 PM was too late.
Okay, how about another change of plans, this time devised after the SMF email had been read.
He and I were on back on for his Monday plan, for the 5:45 PM show, with him understanding that I might be late. That would work, he'd said.
Plus, we'd set plans for Tuesday, for a usual dinner time, then "Alita: Battle Angel" in the BigD room, to amp up the volume on this new science fiction piece.
Again, we were working with the odd times for "Cold Pursuit", trying to use Washington's Birthday - and Kevin's day off - to our advantage.
As time approached for us to cut bait or run, I let the dreary, gray weather deter me... so I backed out on him.
Silly me.
Because I had done my homework and knew exactly which SMF shows I wanted, and was already logged into the site when the clock struck 5:00 PM, I was d-o-n-e in thirty minutes.
Wow, right?
I could still make the movie, right?
But we did not.
By the time he returned my text, it truly was too late.
So, I watched Leonard and Sheldon and the rest, dining on chips and RoTel.
After, I looked to see what else on the telly might grab my attention...
and there was absolutely nothing of interest.
I mean, nothing.
And out the door I went!
I was even there in time for previews.
(smile)
And the movie itself?
All I had hoped for, and more!!!
After all, everyone knows to expect a Liam-Neeson-kicks-butt-when-someone-threatens-his-family movie - and it was.
Everyone also knows the bad guys are explicitly bad, so they needed to be killed - and they were.
But that's not the half of it!
Imagine if the Coen Brothers and Quentin Tarantino taught a class about writing and making a revenge movie.
Now, imagine that their star student not only "got it", but surpassed the teachers in talent - because that's how good Hans Petter Moland is.
I kid you not.
This is an action film with clever dialogue and inside jokes for the grown folks.
I kid you not!
I think I'm going to have to ask Kevin to change plans for tomorrow.
I really want to enjoy it with him.
That would be grand!
Wish me luck - the sixth time is the charm, right?
(smile)

No comments: