Thursday, February 7, 2019

out, out, damned spot


When I went for the dermatology appointment at the Savannah VA Clinic, my biggest concern had been a large mole on my back.
It was just to the left of my spine and about equidistant between my bra and my waist.
The area had begun being itchy sometime last year, so I mentioned it to Ms. Barker at my last semiannual checkup.
That's when she asked a question that had filled me with dread.
"Has it always been red?"
I had been stunned.
The mole is the size of my pinky nail.
Due to its location, there was no way for me to have seen its color.
The doctor made an appointment to have it photographed for the dermatology clinic.
That was on November 5th.
November 21 found me back at the clinic for the brief telederm session. Again, the question was asked, this time by the photographer.
"Has it always been red?"
Apparently, it was the same color as the sweater I was wearing.

Dr. Hamlet deemed the photo worthy of a full session with dermatology.
I met with her on January 25th and was there for an hour, getting a full-body baseline scan, from my head to my toes.
What I had though was dandruff was actually an allergic reaction to Malassezia, an ordinary yeast that likes to feast on the oils in my hair and on my scalp. I've probably had it for most of my life, but just thought my scalp was flaky. I had been concerned that my infrequent hairwashing may have been the culprit, but she assured me that was not the case. My skin has seborrheic dermatitis - the same thing that's called "cradle cap" in babies. Dr. Hamlet prescribed selenium lotion to combat the allergic reaction.
(smile)
The "moles" under my breasts, on my chest, are not actually moles at all, she told me. They are seborrheic keratoses, caused by a thickening of the top skin layer, due to - ready for this? - aging. They are also known as age spots or liver spots and are harmless. She told me the pattern and location tend to be genetic. She said they usually begin around age fifty; I told her that I've probably had these spots for about a decade.
I have some of those all over my body, just as my Daddy did, just as my brothers do.
Nothing to do about this one!
Let me amend that. The use of sunscreen is beneficial to slow down - not prevent - the addition of more of these harmless growths over time. Dr. Hamlet prescribed a broad spectrum "industrial strength" SPF 30 sunscreen.
(smile)
When she was scanning my feet, she was concerned about the dry skin there. Apparently, my skin has ichthyosis vulgaris, another inherited skin disorder. I remember Mama having this one for much of her life. I've had it on my feet, lower legs, and hands for many years, especially during cold weather, and just thought I needed to moisturize more often to keep my skin from cracking. Dr. Hamlet prescribed ammonium lactate to help control the rough skin and protect it from developing bacterial infections.
(smile)
And what about that large red mole on my back? The one causing me concern and dread?
Well, that was just another seborrheic keratose. No worries. The same was true for the dark, rough patch on the left side of my face, not covered by my sunglasses' frame.
However, that place around my right shoulder blade? The unseen area below my bra strap that's been causing me to scratch up against wall corners, like a bear, for much of last year?
That itchy spot harbored actinic keratosis, a growth which could lead to skin cancer.
I had no idea it was anything more than an itch to be scratched.
Dr. Hamlet used cryotherapy, in the form of three bursts of liquid nitrogen, to freeze it into submission. The next step is to wait for the area to scab over and allow it to naturally heal, usually for a period of 4 to 6 weeks.
I am now in that time period of healing, as evidenced by the photo.
My concern is that the site has begun itching for the past few days. Then again, that may just be part of the healing process.
I have a follow-up appointment with Dr. Hamlet on March 19.
Hopefully, that damned spot will be gone.
Tod bad it's not imagined, like the one that plagued Lady Macbeth.

No comments: