Thursday, May 3, 2018

time transport via musicals!


And here's the amazing part: two of them even had cars on stage!!!

"Chitty Chitty Bang Bang", the first of three musicals seen this year,
was February 24 at the Lucas!
This 2002 musical was based on a 1968 film that was based on a 1964 book that was based on 1920's racing cars that were called...
Chitty Bang Bang - amazing!
Amazing is a quite apt description of the performances by the students of Savannah Christian Preparatory School, too!
And it was one of their dads who constructed the car, complete with wings that came out exactly when they should - amazing!
My attention was locked from the sweet tones of "Hushabye Mountain", flirty fun of "Truly Scrumptious", the science-failure cheer "The Roses of Success", the Vulgarian royalty's 'love' song "Chu-Chi Face", right on through the rousing "Teamwork" to the final chorus of "Chitty Flies Home" - amazing!
Was I singing along? Of course! Not for every song - it's been decades since I saw the movie - but for much of the tunes, I was right there carrying them!
(Just a little inside joke there!)
(smile)

I had to wait until April for the next musical, seeing "Bonnie & Clyde" right after my visit with Bonnie and the boys - right place, right time,
on both counts!
This 2009 musical was based not on the 1967 film, but on the real life, in the early 1930's, of Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow.
The Savannah Children's Theatre teen actors were just a little younger than the actual couple had been -
and these kids were incredible, bringing the young lovers to life, adding such nuanced character touches that I cried at the end.
But before those tears, there was quite a bit of humor mixed in with the more serious scenes. I had never seen this musical, so the new tunes were a real treat! Songs like the hopeful "This World Will Remember Me" by the two twenty-somethings, the flirty and hopeful "How About A Dance" by Bonnie, the rebellious roar of "Raise A Little Hell" from Clyde, the crazy-mad love in "Too Late To Turn Back Now" - passion-filled songs that stay with me still.


"Pump Boys And Dinettes", the one tonight, talked of cars, and even had a gas pump!
The view seen here? This was my view and that was my cup of coffee, too!
This 1982 musical didn't arise from a film or a book, but straight from the real lives of its writers - incredible!
It truly brought back to mind my attendance at Garrison Keillor's "A Prairie Home Companion" when it came to Savannah on June 22, 1996. (That show aired from the Johnny Mercer Theater and was rebroadcast on August 30, 1997. Listen to it here.)
Why would this show bring to mind that one?
Well, the Two Cupps Diner and gas station was the home of a radio show, don't ya know!
Not a variety show, but the music certainly had a variety of genres, that's for sure!
This was the first musical I've seen from the Savannah Repertory Theatre and I was quite impressed! I'm not sayin' that just 'cause Prudie Cupp brought me free coffee - oh, no! I'm sayin' it 'cause it's 100% true!
That would be Prudie, right there behind the counter, with my friend Ryan McCurdy as 'Jim'.
(Thanks, Ryan, for encouraging me to sit at the table!)
Which songs did I like best?
Well, there was the hopefully romantic "The Best Man", the star-struck fan's love song "The Night Dolly Parton Was Almost Mine", and the all-revved up plea to "Mona"!
By happenstance, those really show the diverse styles of the music, too.
(smile)
But let me tell you what really caught my attention: Rhetta's declaration that she needed a "Vacation", "like nobody's business, to do something different somewhere else" - hey, she was singin' my song!
I was definitely in the right place at the right time!
Bless Pete, the next thing I knew, Jim was telling her "No Holds Barred", "I'm goin' to Florida, won't you come along with me?"
Hey, man, if she won't, I'm going there in just another week and would love to have you along, ridin' shotgun!
We can cruise along "Highway 57" until we reach the A1A - you in?
(smile)

No comments: