Monday, February 27, 2023

coś polskiego, i presume

"Why is that?"

Why is what?

"Why is it that you presume something?"

Well, the location was on Livingston Avenue, so...

"So you felt the need to bring the good doctor into this."

Naturally. I was on an adventure and so was he.

"Naturally."

I was out there exploring an event listed on fb.

"Does that really say it's a church fair??"

It does, even though there was nary a church in sight.

"Then what's that building in the first shot?"

Well, believe it or not, that's a restaurant. Once upon a time - or so I heard from folks there - it used to be a rowdy, seedy, dive called The Wyld Dock Bar. The story goes that six years ago it became a swanky foodie place on the marsh there and they dropped the "dock bar" from the name.

"Have you been there before? Like, back in the day?"

Nope, this was my first time on that gravel road. I had no idea anything was back in this area of LaRoche except houses. Quite a smorgasboard of those, too, ranging from new McMansions at the start of the avenue to little homes that needed some attention as the pavement ended and the gravel began.

"That hardly sounds like your kind of drive."

Hey, I was there for the pierogi! It's been years since I had it fresh - not that Mrs. T's isn't good, 'cause it sure is - but Under The Eagle and The Two Sisters have been a long time ago.

"Those places both required cash, didn't they?"

Oh, you betcha! Don't bring your plastic or you'll be washing dishes! I had expected this group to require cash, but they took cards, too. The only thing they didn't have was to-go boxes.

"That's a surprise!"

I thought so, too. But it actually worked out for the best. I only ordered the one dinner, instead of the two I'd planned to get. And I ate that dinner on a real plate, with real silverware, sitting on the dock and overlooking the marsh of Country Club Creek.

"That sounds very nice, actually."

It truly was! it was another lovely day, with temps in the low 80's and a nice little breeze to ruffle the salt air. I hadn't planned to eat there... but I sure am glad that it turned out I had to! I couldn't very well make off with their china, could I?

"Yeah, it's nice how that worked out."

Plus, there was a fellow playing what sounded like Irish music on his accordion, and doing it quite well! So, I had a very nice meal of kielbasa, pierogi sauteed in butter, and haluska, with music as a backdrop and the lovely view of the marsh before me - very nice, indeed. And when I was done, I simply left. As I walked back toward my car, past the long line of folks awaiting their turn to order, I assured them the food was worth it.

"Well, that was nice of you."

I also breathed a prayer of gratitude that I'm retired. That meant I was here by 4:45 pm. The event was to begin at 5 PM, but it ran about twenty minutes late. I was the sixth one in line and I didn't get to order until another twenty minutes after that. There was one guy cooking pierogi and one woman serving, so the line had to be held up every few people to either await more potato-stuffed pasta or for the server to catch up with the orders.

"Sounds like they hadn't planned on having more than a few people show up."

I would say there were about fifty there, maybe sixty... and most of them were in line. Seriously. Some were still standing there from the time I got my food and ate it. Plus, there were a lot of others who'd no doubt arrived after work. The line went halfway out into the gravel parking lot, and the cars were lining both sides of Livingston all the way to LaRoche. I'm glad I was able to leave while I still had daylight to see what was where!

"That does sounds like a bit of adventure was had, though."

For sure... and less than five minutes from home. Amazing!

No comments: