Monday, February 6, 2023

my home in okinawa, once upon a time

This was the entrance to Torii Station, the US Army post that offered one of its buildings to bunk us sailors.

In fact, if I'm not mistaken, that large three-story building to the left of the gate was the one I lived in for two years.

This restaurant was one of two that were right across the street from Torii Station.

This one was the Royal.

I always like it for the sushi, as its where I first experienced that food.

I went to the Azuma for Katsu Donburi.

Good times!

This photograph is an overhead shot of the elephant cage at the top of the hill.

Whoever took it must have had a buddy with a helicopter, as this predates drones.

Well... then again, it was shot in the mid-1970's so perhaps he did have a remote-controlled device, like a model plane.

And see this space?

This was the place inside that windowless, cinder block building where I spent the vast majority of my time.

Here, in the mat shop, was everything needed to keep the reel-to-reel recorders spinning, the teletypes printing, the monitors showing images, and the Intel and RCA computers providing the controls and information.

Pretty cool.

Thanks, David Gramann, for sharing these.

Now, I'm off to a special screening at AMC, another Fathom event in less than a week's time.

How appropriate that I had plenty of reward bucks to offset the cost of "Facing The Laughter: Minnie Pearl" - she would get a kick out of that.

See that price tag hanging off that straw hat?

That's her, the eternal and instantly recognizable "country girl" on "Hee Haw" and at the Grand Ole Opry!

I grew up with her bits of rural humor and time-worn jokes that she made sound fresh and bright.

I wonder what Fathom has in store for me this time?

(smile!)


1 comment:

faustina said...

Well, good news!

"Facing The Laughter: Minnie Pearl" is a production of National Public Radio!
That means it will eventually make its way to public television.
Fingers crossed!

https://www.wnpt.org/country-music/people/minnie-pearl/?utm_source=imdb&utm_medium=link&utm_campaign=fathom

I would love to see this upbeat film, with so much heart and humor, one more time!