Thursday, February 2, 2023

so put your little hand in mine...

"there ain't no hill or mountain 
we can't climb,
 
babe,
 
I got you, babe,
 
I got you, babe."
 
Can you imagine waking up to that 1965 Sonny & Cher tune every day?
That's what Phil Conners did for what must have seemed like forever.
We don't know just how many mornings that song started his days, but my guess is it was for about a year.
Sure, some pundits guess it was about six months, but I feel sure it was longer.
After all, he spent a while breaking the law, breaking the law, just because he could.
Then, he spent a while getting to intimately know some of the women around town, including those that had come for the annual event.
I give him about two to three months for those activities.
Then he set his sights on conquering his news producer, Rita.
I'm thinking that was about another month, with him working out the kinks of each encounter, finessing his spiel, getting the right ice cream.
But then he tried to rush things.
A misstep here, a wrong word there, and she was onto him as the dog she heard he was.
Slap to the face!
Slap to the other side of the face!
Slap, slap, slap, as he kept making mistakes on subsequent attempts.
That could certainly bring a fellow down, especially as he was having feelings for her.
Of course he was!
He'd spent about a month wracking his brain on ways to get into her pants, thinking only about her, her, her!
But he was tired of trying.
It just wasn't any fun any more.
That's when he started trying to knock himself off, to stop the temporal carousel ride that he was trapped on.
Ah, all to no end.
That was probably another dreary month, though, before he had an idea.
He would talk again to Rita and maybe convince her that this time trap was real.
And that plan eventually worked.
She wanted to believe him, so she stayed around, listening as he shared what he knew about the tiny town's populace, waiting for the new day to begin so she could see it would be the same as the day before.
When there was no expected change at midnight, she agreed to wait out the dawn by his side...
but she fell asleep...
and he fell asleep...
and when the clock clicked over,
and the music started up again,
as did the banter of the deejays,
something in Phil clicked over, too.
He wanted to become a better man, better than the one he was.
So he started using the time on his hands in a productive way, learning new crafts, helping others, becoming a true part of the town.
Not only did he have a second chance at life...
he had numerous opportunities ahead of him, all there for the taking.
What a dream!
Good for him for finally realizing what a gift he had been given by the universe.
Good, too, that he had grown from the fellow in this Styx song.
 
"Is it any wonder
I've got too much
it's ticking away with insanity,
I've got too much
time on my hands,
and it's ticking away
ticking away
from me."
 
I'm so glad I was there in the cinema tonight!
No, this was not a "free to me" movie on my weekly dance card with AMC.
I turned it into a "dinner and a movie" evening, using $10 of cinema rewards toward the show, pretzel bites with everything bagel seasoning, and even a kids pack!
Why not!!!
Groundhog day only comes once a year, right?
(smile!)
And "Groundhog Day" only comes to the cinema about that often, too.
Plus, this year marked the 30th anniversary of the movie's debut, meaning this was a Fathom event!
And what special bit did they have for me?
"The Weight Of Time", the 2001 interview with Harold Ramis and Danny Rubin, the two men behind the writing of this time warp film.
How wonderful to see Harold Ramis alive and smiling and animatedly glowing about this movie that was chock full of comedians!
Good times!
Such truly good times!
(smile!)
And more good times are on the way, too.
Not at night, mind.
Those are still going to be in winter's thrall.
However, just look at this latest verse in the WSAV weather song!
The weekend will have fairly warm afternoons, just perfect for doing something in open air, just so long as I'm back before the sun, and the temperature, drops...
I can do that!
With any luck, I may even have the company of little blonde girls and my first niece, as well as other family members.
Oh, yes, I've taken advantage of fb to invite them to free events outside!
I do hope they'll come!
(smile!)

2 comments:

faustina said...

I had forgotten to mention another 30-year anniversary.
This would be the year that Eugene Toombs would crawl forth from wherever he was ensconced, in search of the three human livers that would sustain him for the next three decades.
Now, there's a creepy image!
My ex had greeted me with this news on, of all days, Groundhog Day.
For real!
He had caught the news of "The X-Files" ghoul in his feed from a news source on his phone.
Here's the link to the article.

https://www.goldderby.com/feature/the-x-files-monsters-ranked-1205276190/

He and I were both surprised at some of the ones that didn't make it, but that's the problem with lists of Top Ten: somebody's favorites are always missing, right?
Still, that does set up a talking point, so that's good.
As for me, I don't tend to watch reruns of most of the episodes listed in the article, except for two.
Those would be "The Post-Modern Prometheus" and "Arcadia".
Those are actually two of favorites!

https://hindsightvisionfromtheocean.blogspot.com/2021/10/epix-thrills-and-chills-film-festival.html

faustina said...

Ten years ago...

https://beachoffaustina.blogspot.com/2013/02/i-thank-you-god.html