Saturday, February 11, 2023

gratitude to the new regime of SMF

See this email from the Savannah Music Festival?
"9 February 2023               8:04 PM
 
Hello Mighty Volunteers!
Here we go! So happy to announce that the volunteer shifts for SMF 2023 are open as of 6 A.M. Friday Feb. 10th!
Sign in, sign up, and we'll see each other soon.

As a reminder:
2023 Volunteer Orientation is Monday, Feb. 27th, at the Trustees Theater.
Two orientation sessions: 10 AM and 6 PM. You are only required to attend one.

If you need a Volunteer shirt, please fill out this form. Shirts will be distributed at Volunteer Orientation.
If you have friends who want to volunteer, please send them to the SMF website to sign up. The more the merrier!
 
Thank you so much for your time and dedication to making the Savannah Music Festival the best it can be.
You make all the difference!

Best,
Therra

Volunteer Coordinator 2023
S A V A N N A H   M U S I C   F E S T I V A L
200 East St. Julian Street, Suite 601, Savannah, Georgia 31401
office (912) 234-3378
"
 
-*-*-
Yeah, well, I didn't.
The last time I was a volunteer usher for anything at the SMF was in 2019.
All the in-person shows were cancelled in 2020, and when the 2021 version was announced, the Savannah Music Festival had been split into two smaller groups of concerts, one in late spring and the other in early fall, with the volunteer positions evaporating as soon as the website opened.
Things were back to normal with SMF last year, but not with my health, and I even had to cancel the few events I'd signed up for.
That was a hard thing for me to accept: not being able to serve as a volunteer.
So, this year, I was looking forward to making a sincere effort at reclaiming that bit of joy.
Once I saw that email, something in me faltered, but I still went to the volunteer website.
Wonder of wonders!!!
There were shifts available all over the event calendar!!!

So I made sure to let Therra know her changes were appreciated!
 
_*_*_
 
"10 feb
6:16 PM

 First, a big THANKS!!!
I had not had a chance to read the email about shifts being open for selection by volunteers until just an hour ago.
The first thing I thought was: Drats, There'll be nothing left.
That's how it's been in the past.
Everything would have been snapped up within just a couple of hours.
But, I logged in to check anyway... and was pleasantly surprised!
THANK YOU for this policy of only allowing volunteers to make one selection per day!
That's a much fairer way to allow distribution of the popular shows, as well as granting hope to those who log in late, as I did.
Such a great idea!

Faustina Smith
"
 
_*_*_
 
Yesterday, I signed up for the Christian Sands concert, hoping for acrobats, though I am a bit concerned about the "Metal Building at Trustees Garden", as that's new to me.
Today, I volunteered for the matinee performance of Kenny Barron and Dave Holland, as that is at the Charles Morris Center, one of my favorites.

My plan is to log in every day for the next few, selecting one concert each time, until I reach five.
I know from experience that I can always sign up for others along the way.
But, I don't want to sign up and then end up having to cancel.
Sure, I have to watch the weather...
and I'm not going to go for night shows...
but I'm feeling very positive about this.
(smile!)

No comments: