Sunday, February 26, 2023

something different, right here

I was heading down the steps, but stopped halfway to the car.
 
Why go to the Purple Planet when I had yard work to do?
 
Moving is moving, right?
 
Whether I do the 35-minute walk at the fitness center or in my front yard, what's the difference?
 
Well, I had my answer soon enough.
 
This smaller half of the front yard took me and the Ryobi 40 minutes, with me pushing it hard through the tough growth.
 
Afterward, I sat on the front steps and took a break... 
and snapped the above shot of what I'd accomplished...
then I turned the camera toward the half awaiting its turn.
 
Should I continue?
 
After all, the 35 minutes on the treadmill, at 2 mph, at least three days per week, was all I've been doing the last three weeks, having worked up from 30 minutes each time.
 
I drank some water and pondered.
 
The mower's battery still had plenty of juice, so I resolved to go for it, but moved the blade up an inch.
 
Forty minutes later, most of the overgrowth was gone.
The battery had died out, too, and I was feeling a bit whupped myself.
 
Then a neighbor walking her little dog stopped and looked admiringly at the yard.

"This looks so much better than it did this morning," she told me. "Good work."
 
My spirits perked up at that!
 
I thanked her and told her that was the first time I've cut the grass in almost a year and a half, but I had thought I'd give it a go, being mindful of my A-fib.
 
She told me again what a nice job I'd done...
and I felt like a superhero...
just as littlest girl had that day in 2019.
 
Perfect time to break for a late lunch, maybe treat myself to po' girl ceviche...
yeah, fuel me back up while I wait for the battery to charge.
Perfect.
(smile!)

1 comment:

faustina said...

Well, I did go back out there, an hour later.
The battery was still charging, so I put the mower away...
then hauled to the front yard the scrub oaks cut last year.

I started in on the dead lantana and still-living scrub oaks in the front, working on them for almost 40 minutes.
All that bending over got to me, though.
I only managed to get one lantana chopped up, dragging it, and the scrub oak debris, to the curb for Wednesday.

Yeah, that's enough for one day.