Thursday, February 16, 2023

of gender pronouns and 3-point throws

At the American Legion meeting of the Two Firsts Post tonight, I had not one, but two opportunities to shine light.
My Uncle Jimmy always did say I was a beacon.
(smile!)
The first illumination came during the pre-meeting dinner.
I was sitting at the table, as were James (the one who was in Panama during Noriega's time) and Ben (new to me).
(They are both from 500, the first Black Post in Savannah.
I, and the others there, are from 36, the first Post in Savannah.
Hence, as we have combined forces, we've incorporated our positions in the new name.)
Anyway, there we were eating Firehouse subs, keeping company.
Then, James mentions that he'd received an email from someone they both knew and that she had signed her name, then added "she/her/hers".
He was trying to puzzle out why she would have done such a thing when he knew her.
So, I enlightened him about modern gender terminology.
I told him the woman is trying to be clear with others about her gender identity by use of those pronouns; namely, she identifies as a female, just as I do.
James would identify as "he/him/his", as would Ben.
However, there are some I know who use the pronouns "they/them/their" and others who identify as a mixture, like "they/him/his".
I emphasized that the pronouns do not necessarily reflect the sexual orientation of the person, just their gender identity.
After all, a straight man and a gay man might use the same pronouns, as might a straight woman and a lesbian.
About that time, I noticed the room had become very quiet... so I stepped away and got another 4" hunk of sub, allowing the topic to change.
I didn't think anyone would be up for a discussion of the rainbow and my interpretation of its colors and their relation to sexual orientation.
(smile!)

At some point after that, Doug was reading the names and some biographical information about several members who have died.
One of those was Don Fallin, the kindly old gent who'd sat in the first row at last month's meeting and related that he had been an electronics technician, as I had.
Twixt then and now he had died, just short of his 90th birthday, but just a week after the death of Patrick, his 17-year-old grandson, named after a son gone too soon.
I shone my beacon and let all know that the grandson had battled cancer for the last three years of his life.
I didn't mention the impact that might have had on the grandfather; these men would already know about grief and its effect.
I also didn't mention that the teen had been an avid "War Thunder" gamer and his friends had put together quite a nice homage to him.
Most of the rest of the meeting was about the continuing progress toward the transformation of this building into an NCO club, as well as a reception hall for "Hail & Farewell" parties.
As it's located right outside one of Hunter AAF's gates, that will be a booming business!
That's a ways off, though, still very much in the dream stage, but is slowly heading for real.
James has already had the contractor create two large pocket doors between our meeting space and the huge room beyond.
Next will be the removal of a wall extension in that room, then work on getting those nasty acoustical tiles in the ceiling and even nastier carpet and vinyl on the floors.
Maybe we'll have it open in time for Thanksgiving and Christmas parties!
Fingers crossed!
(smile!)
 
I had to hustle out of there after the meeting: I had an AARP MFG at 8!
I made it in time for the opening credits, too.
Good thing they're always a little late.
(smile!)
Titled "The Legend Of The 81-Point Game", the documentary was all about Kobe Bryant and the basketball played on January 6, 2006, by the Los Angeles Lakers and the Montreal Raptors.
Say what?
I do basketball, too?
Well, my first love is baseball, but, as I've tried to tell people, I'll watch any sport in person!!!
Just not a fan of doing so on TV, unless it's ice skating.
(smile!)
Mostly, though, I was there because of the one Kobe in my life: Zach's son.
As I shared with the others, I was "Watching with my 12-yo [great] nephew named after Kobe!" 
As far as I know, it was true that Zach and his boy were watching this from their home.
I had alerted Zach to the special screening online just so Kobe could see, in this legendary game, this famous person who shared his name.
A woman named Joyce read my post and wrote some encouraging words: "All Right Young Kobe - Do You All The Way!"
How very kind of her!
(smile!)
And what kind words there had been from his teammates and his opponents and even from the Raptors' coach!
Twenty-seven three-point shots Bryant made that night, even though 3-pointers weren't really his thing.
That is what a team player does: what's best for all.

No comments: