Saturday, February 4, 2023

family connection at wormsloe

So, remember when I talked about Benjamin Franklin being related to me?
Yeah, I realize that was back in 2016, so it's been several years ago now.
Well, just a couple of months ago, I'd verified through research into my own genealogy that on my father's maternal side, we are, indeed, related to that famous Franklin's family.
The woman who provides that link is May Bell, sometimes written as Maybell or Mable, who was Daddy's grandmother and a great-great-great-great-granddaughter - if I have the number of 'greats' correct - to Ben's brother, James.
I know, I know, the variation in the spelling of her name bothered me, too, but, it really is her.
Tracking women through history is problematic; it takes great attention to birth and death dates.
Both Benjamin and James were printers.
When the fellow running the script station heard that I was related to Franklin, he called across the way to man with the print station.
That was very good, as it turned out!
He was a big fan of Ben Franklin, so much so that the entire time that he was helping me make this print, he kept up a running commentary about the correspondence between that famous man and the plantation owner's son, as they were both pro-American.
"The museum even has a copy of one of their letters," he told me.
I made a beeline there after I left him, gingerly holding the paper so the ink would not smear.
Why did I choose the umbrella?
Why not, right?
Plus, it was such an odd choice to have amongst the other blocks he had available, of the usual animals and flowers and such.
Maybe the play a week ago, with Eurydice carrying the umbrella in the leaky elevator, was still a bright image in my mind?
Or maybe this wasn't an umbrella but its cousin, the parasol.
That's more likely, as ladies weren't to sport tans back in that day.
But let's get my train of thought back on track, shall we?
(smile!)
Okay, as I was saying, I left the area of the Colonial Faire & Muster to return to the museum and gift shop.
The museum was much larger than I'd thought, so it took a little while, but I found the letter.
The bottom half is above, and here is the upper half of the missive from Ben to Noble Wimberly Jones.
Notice that date: October 7, 1773.
That would have been before we Americans gained our independence from England.
Families were split over the politics of the situation, including here at Wormsloe Plantation, where the father was pro-Tory and the son siding with the new country yearning for its freedom.
Given familial splits these days over politics, I guess not much has changed over the last 250 years.
I'm so glad I took the time to come out here today for the Georgia History Festival event.
Not only did I get to be outside in the sunshine and open air...
plus, have two trips in the "hay ride" truck between the parking lot and the faire...
but I also have a tangible souvenir that I made...
and a story that links this site in Savannah to my family...
and all of this adventure was free!
Many thanks, y'all!
(smile!)

No comments: