Thursday, December 27, 2018

the tree has left the building


i thank You, God.
Yes, I enjoyed the fresh, green scent of this pretty little tree.
However, I was ready for it to be gone, ready for Christmas to be done...
ready for a regular day.
Bless its soul, it was ready to be done, too.
As I was taking off the ornaments yesterday morning, it fell into my arms,
granting easier access to those placed near the window and on the opposite side.
(smile)

Today, all of the Christmas decorations - what little I had pulled from boxes -
was stowed away again, to await next year.
Today, the Christmas gifts which had not made it into the hands of the designated recipients were boxed up and sent away. Those are due to arrive at their new homes on Monday, before year's end.
Off to Aubree in Dora, AL!
Off to Ally in Louisville, GA!
Off to Zaida and Molly in Bluffton, SC!
Amen!

I also sent a late birthday gift to my ex. It's a randy cookbook I won for my ugly sweater at a dirty Santa party at Dawn's - I know he'll love it!
I had meant to mail it after my return from Ormond Beach, but time ran faster than I did and got away from me.
It's been doing that quite a bit of late.
I've oft heard retirees speak of being busier than they ever were when they were working...
I guess it truly is true!
(smile)

Speaking of things I won, remember that damaged prize package from Regal Cinemas?
Well, I mailed that today, too.
Perhaps they can find some other use for it.

How glad I am to have Christmas over and done!
This year, the holiday has just been... odd... for me.
I have found myself missing Mama more often than usual, leading to more bouts of crying while driving and tears with my coffee.
Today, it did me good to have the Christmas decor and leftovers put away and sent out.
I wish I had caught the name of the clerk at the Post Office.
As he handled the ultra-light box being sent to Alabama, I mentioned that it had a unicorn in it and that they had about the same mass as a 'wish-puff'. Next thing you know, he and I were talking about dandelions with their carrot roots and joking around!
That definitely made us both smile!
(smile)


Light in heart and step, off I went to donate blood!
Then, light a pint and with a spiffy new t-shirt, I treated myself to dinner out!
Thanks, Sean, for the wonderful service!
Thanks, Carrabba's, for the beautiful piece of salmon, perfectly cooked!
And, as always...
i thank You, God.
This slow-paced, successful day of solitude was exactly what I needed.

Yesterday was spent with Carolyn, watching a doubleheader of "Vice" (very hard to watch that scary man) and "Mary Poppins Returns" (a delightful musical I will certainly see again!), then dining at Applebee's.
Tomorrow, I will venture to the Royal of Pooler with her and Barbara, for a doubleheader of "Aquaman" (this time on IMAX and minus Kevin's chatter) and "Zero" (the latest Bollywood with our beloved Shah Ruhk Khan), dining... somewhere in between.
i thank You, God, again, for this day.

5 comments:

faustina said...

No live tree for me next year, thanks.

The Pink House was on fire Thursday morning... thanks to a live Christmas tree that ran amok.
http://www.wtoc.com/2018/12/27/first-responders-scene-fire-olde-pink-house-savannah/

Maybe I'll get a wreath from the Asbury youth instead.

faustina said...

I talked to the ex on Monday, a bit late for his birthday, but we got it done at last! (smile!)
I had sent a marvelously wicked cookbook to him, as I wrote in this post... and he had most definitely LOVED it! His girlfriend of the last few years, Amy, is looking forward to them trying out some of the recipes - and laughing at their bawdiness!
Hooray!

faustina said...

"Ally got a really awesome gift in the mail today!! Thank you so much!"
That was the enthusiastic message received a few days back from Louisville, from my niece Emily. Hooray! Now Ally can have fun uncovering fossils encased in plaster, like I did with my littlest niece at Jur-RAWR-sic Quest!
Life is most excellent!

American Red Cross said...

12/31/2018

Blood donations help save lives.

Carrie
"I would not be here today if it were not for those who donated blood." – Carrie

Carrie and her husband arrived at the hospital for a scheduled delivery induction, excited to meet their new little boy. Suddenly, Carrie was rushed for an emergency cesarean section. Doctors delivered their healthy baby boy, but during the C-section, Carrie experienced complications, resulting in rapid blood loss. After a two-hour surgery, she was exhausted, but felt fine waiting in recovery. A short time later, her bed was soaked with blood and she was in stage 4 shock. Carrie survived yet another surgery, even though doctors feared she would not make it through. During her surgeries, Carrie received more than 17 blood products, including red blood cells, plasma and platelets, which she attributes to helping save her life.

She has a message for all donors: "Thank you from the bottom of my heart! You are a hero, and you are making a difference saving lives. I know from experience." And thanks to the selfless generosity of blood donors like you, mothers like Carrie will continue to receive the transfusions they need.

Medical conditions and emergencies that require blood don't stop for the holidays. Your donation helps ensure patients can get the treatment they need at a moment's notice. Please schedule your next donation to help ensure blood products are available to support unforeseen trauma situations as well as ongoing patients' needs.

With every 8 units you donate, you reach a special milestone. We love to celebrate, so we're keeping track. You've got 3 units left until you reach your next milestone.

faustina said...

https://www.connectsavannah.com/NewsFeed/archives/2019/03/20/olde-pink-house-to-re-open-april-8?fbclid=IwAR1EhQHrDBzI6msZpRYE7c9n4j1jjIR52xmfvYsY1lSXvLtLJrmf_2U4Wuw

So, good news! The Pink House will be re-opening on April 8th!
That will be just in time for the last week of the Savannah Music Festival! Hooray!