Tuesday, January 31, 2023

a*list here, there, and yon

I realized today that I had not written of my recent dance cards at AMC.
I know I've mentioned a few of the members a time or two, for those seen in the company of others, but I've made no effort to capture the order.
So, that shall be remedied forthwith!
Yesterday, I completed the A*List for the week of 27 January.
That was quite the quick step routine!
I'd seen "The Banshees of Inisherin" that Friday with Barbara and Carolyn.
I found it to be an Irish tale of two aging men, one of which had decided he wanted to work on his music, so as to leave something to posterity, so he was cutting off the friendship ... and cutting off his fingers when the other declined to leave him be.
Boys, right?
Still, 'twas lovely to listen to the accents!
The other two were solo pieces.
I literally did get up and dance while watching "Whitney Houston: I Wanna Dance With Somebody"! The movie has been out for a while, so I was the only one in the cinema. How lovely to hear some of these tunes from the 1980's that I used to kick my heels up at! 
I was surprised to learn the rationale behind her choice of that titular song: she was lesbian and was not allowed to dance and make merry in public with the one she loved.
I'd never known that about her, nor that she chose her songs so carefully.
How unfortunate that she chose to marry a man just like her father.
I rounded out the trio with "The Fabelmans", partly because I'd called out AMC in a survey for showing us this trailer and not bringing the film, forcing me and mi amigas to spend our money at other cinema chains in Pooler.
They had finally brought it, but the time had not been right for a viewing of this long film.
Still, I wanted to see it, and, as I told Tom at AMC 10, I felt the need to do so; I had forgotten how the movie ended.
I truly had!
I'm glad I saw it again!
I'm not quite as glad to have seen "The Whale" today, except for the excellent role played by Samantha Morton.
Like Toni Collette and Ashley Judd, she can be relied upon to deliver a solid performance.
She was the firmly rooted in the real world, seeing her teen daughter for the mean-spirited person she actually was.
The father, who had left the family 9 years earlier for another man, now wallowing in grief for the death of his lover and guilt for the desertion of his daughter, was obese to the point of being trapped not only in his body but in his apartment.
He was also trapped by his delusion that his daughter was an extremely gifted writer, based on an essay about "Moby Dick" that she wrote when she was younger.
She hadn't liked the book, nor did she like the whale her father now resembled.
Rather clever camera work to make it seem he was breaching when he would rise from the sea of his couch!
I'll grant them kudos for that.
Then there's the trio of male-dominant films shown here, for the week of 13 January.
Hombres, mga lalaki, boyz.
Nicely, they were all new, too!
That's not to say they were original; the first and last were remakes.
"A Man Called Otto" was based on the 2013 Swedish film, with Tom Hanks as the man formerly known as Ove.
Depression over loss of a loved one was at the core, with a solid push for those with mental illness to seek help.
"House Party" was a remake of the 1990 film of the same name, with LeBron James fronting the funds and lending his name.
Definitely had its fun moments, but nothing new.
On the other hand, "Plane" was fast, action-packed, and felt real.
Set mostly on a remote island in the the Philippines, I expected a credit at the end for the actual person who had executed these exploits.
Nope!
Just a Gerard Butler movie that had him to credit for the win!
I hope to see it again.
And what about the week of the 20th?
I barely managed to get in two movies and missed my photo op.
That Friday had been split between my brother in the afternoon and mi amigas that night
Smitty and I last met in July for the 2nd quarter payroll and June's sales tax; all else had been done via phone calls. That meant the company file was behind two quarters for payroll, as well as six months' of logging in sales receipts and payments. ACK!!! I was there almost four hours and still ended up bringing his computer home with me for updates.
At least the 1099 info has been entered, too, so we're just waiting on tax forms.
Saturday was the sea-themed musical and Sunday went to the dogs.
Monday, I took a break from texting to see "Puss In Boots: The Last Wish" una vez mas.
I do so enjoy all those fairy tales - and the one poem! - all mashed together!
Tuesday found me "Missing" with mi amigas and an Indiana bday girl...
and that was it for movies that week.
I'll try to make sure I get a trio in February!
(smile!)

No comments: