Sunday, January 8, 2023

when he was 17

On Christmas Day, Merritt turned 17 years old.
I gave him a funny gift and a serious card.
Here's the gift!
The travel mug was obtained from my visit to Dave & Buster's, not last year, but the year before.
On the other side, it says:
"I'm NOT a Christmas morning person."
It'll be our inside joke, right?
Because he is, in fact.
(smile!)
The card, like I said, was serious.
"May your birthday be filled with yesterday's memories, today's joys and tomorrow's dreams. "
Nice, right?
Seventeen is a tricky age, where decisions made can have an effect on the rest of your life.
So, I gave him some advice.
"Happy 17th birthday! 
Wishing you a year of new challenges, 
met with aplomb and humor, 
as you continue your journey to manhood and independence."
Unlike me at 17, he's a junior this year, but he is already making college plans.
Good for him and good for agriculture!
(smile!)
For Noah's birthday, which rolled around on the 5th, I am passing along that same message.
That's because he's a 17-year-old junior, too.
At first, I was concerned about repeating the message... but, if I had bought a card, it would have been the same as Merritt's.
I am very proud of that good card I wrote.
Noah's presents are koozies that represent the two places he and I had traveled together.
First is the trip to Driftwood Beach and the Georgia Sea Turtle Center when we first met.
Then, there is the trip with Mister Willie to the Savannah Bananas game.
Good times for sure!
And that "Peanuts Guide To Life" is left open to the advice about eating a hotdog at a ballgame.
(smile!)

No comments: