Monday, January 2, 2023

starting over: the good times jar

See all of these folded bits of paper?
 
Those represent programs from every play and musical I attended, with or without company.
 
Those represent ticket stubs from every movie that I shared with one or more people by my side.
 
Those represent receipts for lunches and dinners shared with friends and family.
 
Those represent baseball games and vacations and even a concert.
 
And see this container?
 
Once upon a time it held spaghetti noodles.
 
Paul gave it to me many years ago, when he was moving away from Tallahassee.
 
For a while, I kept pasta in it.
 
Then, a couple of years ago, a friend on facebook suggested using a jar to keep tangible evidence of good times, to bolster mental health.

Yeah, that's not what they said, but it's certainly my interpretation of the caption they used.

(smile!)
And today, the good times jar has its first slip of paper for this year!
 
That's the receipt from the luncheon today with...
 
who else?
 
My first niece!
 
She's showing off the very nice card I gave her -
and her alone - 
for Christmas this year.
 
She's going to turn that three-dimensional floral heart into a Christmas ornament!
 
She is my heart, you know.
She meant this to be a "just us" lunch, but the universe had other plans.
 
(smile)
 
In other words, we were joined by the littlest girl.
 
That was just fine, though!
 
Miyah sat by her Aunt Tina -
that's me! -
and entertained herself with a coloring book
as well as her new laptop.
 
Perfect!
 
And the two of them, on this warm day, helped to start my new year in the company of two I love.
 
i thank You, God.

2 comments:

faustina said...

I forgot to mention: Christina has finally passed through every hurdle - including expired time limits - that DFCS has thrown at her.
That means she really, truly, most sincerely, absolutely, positively, WILL be finalizing the adoption of Miyah this year!!!
Apparently, DFCS made that conclusion official on December 23rd, 2022.
Christina found out last week and called me on Wednesday.
That's when she came to town to sign the papers so the lawyer could get a court date set up.
Hallelujah!

What about Chloe?
Well, DFCS concluded that Christina could adopt her quite a while back.
Say what?
Hey, all I care about is both girls will now be Christina's, to have and to hold, in sickness and in health...
oh, wait, that's some other vows...
but close enough.
Hallelujah!

faustina said...

I finally sat down to unfold all that had been in the "good times" jar.
231.
That's right: 231 pieces of paper, two with pennies included.
231.
That's a lot of restaurant receipts, movie tickets, concert stubs, hotel invoices, and bits of paper from my kitchen cabinet when those were all I had to physically commemorate the events.
That's means that not only am I never alone at home, but I'm rarely alone when I'm out and about.
I am so blessed!