Thursday, January 19, 2023

Lions and Legionnaires

I completely understand why Eugene was a Lion.
After spending about two and a half hours with the Savannah Lions Club, I definitely saw and heard the sense of humor mingled in with the proceedings.
I was greeted at the door of The Pirates House banquet room by Bart, a friendly face, and I told him upfront why I was there, rather than make him think I was interested in joining.
I'm glad I did that.
He took me over to Rush, who listened to my tale, and who took me right over to Lois Modell, who happened to be a guest for the luncheon, too.
And who was she?
For real.
She just so happened to be at that meeting...
and I just so happened to be at that meeting...
and we sat together for the entire luncheon.
Right place, right time.
I'm still a bit in awe of the timing of this coincidence.
She has given me the name and contact information for Juliet Hardeman, the Parent Mentor for Chatham County Schools.
She is the one to help get my Elements of Touch Periodic Table into the hands of the local students.
Lizzy Ross, the Program Director at the Ronald McDonald House, had me show her how my invention works!
She deals with not only children who have lost their vision to cancer, but adults, too, and thought my Periodic Table could be of use for them in Chemistry classes.
She, too, was not a Lion, but a guest, like me, like Lois.
i thank You, God.
 
I'm so glad I had dressed up for the occasion.
In a way, it was as if I was going to an interview, but instead of a job being at stake, it was the future of my invention.
The universe sent this fellow on "Let's Make A Deal" to get my attention, and he did.
As a STEAM punk alchemist, he turns zonks into prizes.
I don't know if he meant it STEAM, but that's how I heard it.
That meant this was an official first outing for my Table.
The 'medieval roses' dress was warranted.

I was still wearing the dress when I went to the American Legion meeting at 6 PM.
I'm sure that's why Joe immediately recognized me as having been at the luncheon earlier.
Yes, Joe is a Lion as well as a Legionnaire!
He got a kick out of me recognizing him as "the bouncer" during the Tail Twisting portion of the Lions' meeting.
That was the "trivia" time, complete with bad jokes, which served to engage each member in answering a question, then paying a dollar "fine" for getting it wrong... which they all did!
I just know Eugene loved that part best.
So, back to this evening's get-together.
That started with dinner from Barnes' restaurant.
It was free, which was different from past meetings of Post 36.
Then again, we were no longer only that first post of Savannah.
Now, we were joined with Post 500, the first black post in town, so together we were The Two Firsts American Legion Post.
The space now inhabited is new to both posts and will eventually become a bar, as well as a site for "Hail & Farewell" parties for Hunter Army Air Station.
That will be an easy transition, as we're directly outside the Montgomery Street gate.
Of course, that will not be for awhile.
There's quite a lot of work to be done to the spaces.
For one thing, there's this ancient linoleum layer to be removed, as well as the marred tile floor and stained carpet.
Plus, the acoustical tiles in the ceiling are stained from both water damage as well as years of cigarette smoke - yuck.
But tonight was a time of getting to know each other.
I found out I'm one of three ex-sailors, that I'm one of three former electronic maintenance techs, and that I'm one of two who served down in Panama.
Very nice to feel like I belong!

2 comments:

faustina said...

I see I didn't mention one of the nice points: my meal was free at both meetings!

I had been prepared to pay for my Lions' lunch, but was told to put away my money as it was their treat.
Sweet!

Than, at the later dinner, I was prepared to pay, as we usually had when we were installed in Thunderbolt... but we're in uncharted territory and the meals are currently free.
Very nice!

Two meals with others, both free...
i thank You, God.
(smile!)

faustina said...

Well, another good man gone.
I'm glad I was able to get to know a little about him that night.
He was the first to take his plate and eat at the tables with me, instead of eating in the chairs.
He was the soft-spoken gent on the first row and one of the first to speak when we started sharing our military work and workplaces.
Like me, he did electronics maintenance, but his was for the Army.
That would mark his last meeting with Post 36/500.

Farewell, Don Fallin.
I would have liked to know you a bit more, but I'm glad I was there that night.

https://www.bakermccullough.com/obituaries/Donald-Fallin-2/#!/Obituary