Sunday, January 15, 2023

not soup... it's what's 4 supper!

As cold as it's been all weekend, with me restricted to the house to keep my heart happy, I had to find something entertaining to do, right?

So, I've been cooking a bit more.

For one thing, it warms up the house a little.

Evey therm helps!

For another, it encouraged me to actually think about what I could make.

I still had mandarin oranges, and they were starting to shrink from the dry air.

I still had a pantry stocked with all manner of canned foods.

I still had frozen chicken breasts bought on sale a few months back.

I still had two apples from the Waycross Comfort Suites breakfast bar.

Those were starting points.

So, Friday I cooked four chicken breasts in the crock pot.

That helped warm the kitchen quite nicely!

One went into Fruity Stuffing that night.

Not soup!

One shredded chicken breast, four peeled and sectioned mandarins, two diced apples, brought to a boil with about 3/4 cup of water; then the box of stuffing mix was stirred in.

Lots of protein, lots of fiber, lots of delicious aromas!

And such an easy one-pot recipe!

Perfect!

Saturday morning started with soup for breakfast.

Good, warm, and got me warm, too.

But supper was much more toothsome!

Another of those chicken breasts got shredded - I used my fingers, but I saw two forks used to pull the meat apart on "America's Test Kitchen" - and flavored with some Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle.

Next, I sauteed a bag of cubed sweet potatoes, bought long ago and tossed in the freezer to be forgotten... not anymore!

After the potatoes were done, I used a little water to get up the frond - cool word, though it doesn't sound appetizing - and used that on the warmed chicken.

One pan, lots of protein, lots of fiber, lots of delicious smells in the house!

And tonight?

Another chicken breast, shredded, into a pot with about 3/4 cup of water, along with the sections from another four mandarin oranges, seasoned with Chinese Five Spice, with all brought to a boil, then topped with a package of 90-second quinoa and brown rice.

Stir, cover, take off the heat; wait 5 minutes and it's time to eat!

Easy, not peasy!

Just one pot, lots of protein, lots of fiber... and a free trip to China wafting in the air!

Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to watch a bunch of jackasses on TV.

(smile!)

No, seriously!

It's "Celebrity Family Feud" and the cast of "Jackass: The Movie", led by Johnny Knoxville, is squaring off against the writers and other crazy boys.

And, dig this: Johnny and Steve are wearing the exact same suit, down to the shirt and tie!

This is my second time watching it - what a hoot!

So glad it was On Demand from ABC!

1 comment:

faustina said...

Well, I've received the electricity bill from that intense cold spell we had.
Roughly, it's about $150.
Yeah, that's more than three times my usual.
Still, I stayed relatively warm, compared to outside temperatures.
Well worth it.