Sunday, December 11, 2022

tracking women through the years

This was Claire's last Sunday before retirement and she had chosen, for this third week of Advent, to concentrate on the women forebears of Jesus' lineage.
That's a pretty tricky thing to do.
She had two women stand and read the genealogy of Jesus and, quite frequently, they would have to say 'unknown woman' before proceeding to the next name on the list.
I am well aware of the difficulty of such a task of tracing the mothers that brought forth my ancestors.
I have been working on that, off and on, for several years.
I'd recently gotten back into it, after getting some new data from an old source: our Family Bible.
I'd input the new names and dates, watching the family tree grow, assured that I was on the right track.
How so?
With MyHeritage.com, after you've entered data, a little brown leaf or little green leaf will pop up, to let you know it's valid.
The brown leaf is for information found in official record sources, such as the Social Security Index or the Birth, Death, and Marriage Records.
The green leaf appears for information that matches that in the trees of other users of that genealogy site.
Here's the caveat: you can only look at their exact data if you buy an annual subscription. 
Yeah, not planning to do that any time soon.
However, I have been able to unearth another woman on my father's mother's side.
Her name?
Mabel Brown, nee Franklin.
No middle name, no birth date or death date, no marriage date for her union with Robert Leonard Brown.
No little leaves of either color to let me know I'm on the right track, either.
However, thanks to my paternal cousin, Becky, I already have a clue that I'm correct.
She's the youngest daughter of Daddy's only sibling, my Aunt Barbara.
Back in 2016, she had done some of the same backtracking I'm doing.
She's already found that Benjamin Franklin is our uncle, back several generations.
What a relief when I found that a 'Franklin' is, indeed, in our line!
Here's the problem, though.
With no birth or death dates, I'm stuck right now.
I've made good use of "Find A Grave" to locate the menfolk and get their dates.
For instance, I found exact birth dates and death dates for my father's paternal grandfather, Guy Merritt Smith, as well as his grave site.
Not only that, but I found his wife's name and her dates, too!
Both of them died in the early 1960's, but I never knew them.
And just how do I know those names are correct?
Well, like I said, they were listed in the Family Bible that my parents were given by Mama's parents, with the family tree partially filled in.
Also, my father named my two stepbrothers with the middle names of his two grandfathers, with Merritt for the younger son and Leonard for the older one.
I'm going to keep at it, but it's a rabbit hole that gobbles hours of time...
kind of like facebook does, but for the dead.
Anyway, how did I get sidetracked into that?
 
Oh, yes, missing mothers.
Of course, I went to visit Mama after Asbury Memorial 
Church and Claire's sermon.
I had intended to do so yesterday, but by the time I was 
was soon to be closing.
I wanted a leisurely visit, so I had waited for today.
I didn't stay long.
The cemetery was quite busy and very noisy.
What to do then?
I let my car take whatever path it wanted.
That found me driving by my youngest brother's house 
instead of to my home.
Good choice!
His two older grandchildren were over there, visiting, 
and guess what they had done?
They went to see "The Grinch" this morning because 
I had told them of the free movies!
How very nice!
Laura was busy trimming the Christmas tree; Tony and 
his son were redoing the bathroom; and the two teens
were just trying to stay out from underfoot.
So that gave me a chance to talk with them - very nice!
Carissa is showing off an ornament she made with Laura and 
she liked the eight maids a-milking one received from me.
She's very much into playing basketball for school.
Dylan liked his ornament, too, which had been the twelve 
drummers drumming.
He gets to hear lots of that when he's playing football, which 
is pretty awesome that he gets field time as a freshman!
How nice to get to spend a bit of time with them!
Hopefully I'll get to see Hope and her boys again soon.
"The 12 Days of Christmas" ornaments for them exactly matched their ages!
That means Sebi got the nine ladies dancing and Bert has six geese a-laying.
I just love how well that worked out this year!
Now to get ready for a celebration at a nearby church.
I've told Tony and Laura about it, but I don't think they'll make it this time.
That house only has one bathroom... so getting it done takes priority.
(smile!)

No comments: