Friday, November 3, 2023

a tale of two roofers

"Two roofers? You only needed one, right?"

Well, you know, Angi's List - I mean, just Angi - gave me two to choose from right off the bat, then made more available.

"But you had two come out for your job?"

Of course I did. For one thing, I didn't know whether either would actually come. I needed the reassurance that this was going to get done, and done quickly. Having two gave me a choice. The two that came made that choice easier and gave me a great boost of confidence in this financial decision.

"Yeah, I know, you haven't been quite as sure of your decisions since the DEA scam artist pulled one over on you. That's to be understood. I'm glad you had a choice that you felt good about making."

Thanks, me, too.

"So, what made the decision sound for you?"

They had two very different styles. Both have been doing this work for better than two decades, so they had lots of experience. Plus, they were both rated well on Angi. That made them both good companies to consider. One was supposed to come yesterday, but he called to make sure I wasn't waiting around for him. Actually, both were good about communicating, so that's a big plus for them. But, by far, they had different outlooks.

"What do you mean by that?"


Well, the first roofer showed up, threw up the ladder, and went up to investigate. Then he talked to me about my roof's construction, showing he could tell it was 1x6 planks instead of plywood sheets. No X-ray vision that could see through shingles - that's years of experience talking. He pointed out several other items while he was up there, letting me know that he wanted to correct these little issues to prevent future problems in two years or so. I appreciated that heads up, even if it wasn't something the insurance company needed done right now. I understood that he was a business man who did business like my brother, Smitty, had done: conscientiously, with respect for the customer's time and money, and with a high regard for doing what was best for the long run.

"Wow. Just how much time did you spend with that guy?"

I bet it was only twenty minutes.

"Well, it sure sounds like he made a good impression."

He did. In fact, I already shook his hand before he left, with him hopefully to start work tomorrow. He had recommended the roof maintenance plan to correct the lifted shingles and other issues, with a cost of $375, and I regarded the job to be his.

"But with no knowledge of the other guy's bid?"

Yes. Still, I didn't call off the other guy. He showed up about thirty minutes later. His helper threw up the ladder and went onto the roof. The second roofer confirmed the roof was of solid construction, then tried to find out from me about any other roofers that had been by. No mention was made of any extra items to be addressed, no mention of preventative maintenance to prevent future issues. When I told him the other had found rust on the chimney flashing, his man confirmed that and they agreed to paint that. Their bid was $250 and they gave me a written proposal before they left. I thanked them for their time and shook their hands and let them know I appreciated them coming. But I knew, and so did they, that they had struck out. The second roofer just didn't have to the thoroughness of the first.

"Well, I'm glad it turned out that way. What if their orders had been switched? How might that have gone then?"

I still would have chosen Jammey Townsend and his Southeast Coastal Contracting. Like I said, he reminded me of Smitty with his business practices. My brother is truly one of the most honest tradesmen I've ever known. I'm glad he steered me to Angi for help. In fact, I'm going to call him and tell him that right now.

"Good for you, dear. I'll be glad when this business with Travelers is all done."

As will I. How stressful this has been, especially at this time of year for me.

"Hang in there, g'friend. That weight will be lifted e'er long."

i thank You, God.

No comments: