Saturday, November 4, 2023

flashback to the 18yo in me

Once upon a time, I had a collectors set of J.R.R. Tolkien books.
They were oversized paperbacks, and, when set up in sequence, formed a single scene from that magical world of elves and trolls and hungry, hungry hobbits.
(smile!)
I lost those books when I loaned them to a boyfriend that first year in the Navy.
Tom Broughton, I do hope you actually read them!
(smile!)
The favorite, the one which has remained dear to my heart, is "The Hobbit".
Perhaps it was because Bilbo Baggins, like me, was quite short.
Maybe it was the petite person's love of good food...
or his enjoyment of nature...
and his curious mindset and adeptness with puzzles...
but he seemed a kindred spirit.
And, tonight, I found that the love of that character is alive and well with today's teens.
What marvelous news!
And it was simply because I'd been checking on my theatre troupes on fb that I found out about the Savannah Children's Theatre's performances of "The Hobbit" this weekend.
That was last night.
So I made a promise to myself to see the play, a special treat.
I'm so glad I did.

This production was from the juniors and it was clearly dear to their hearts.
Bravo!!!
Bilbo was played true to form by Kathryn Scorza, and she truly brought him to life.
That set the tone of truth for the entire show, especially as she would break the fourth wall to narrate the action.
I felt as though I were back in my bedroom of my youth, reading the book, imagining the world described within its pages, following the hobbit on his adventure...
and that was most likely the origin of that word having magical meaning for me.
Adventure!
Kudos to Carson Lawrence for an incredible Gollum, the humanoid creature who'd lost his birthday present and realized too late that the hobbit had found it.
Such a lovely game of riddles between those two, with Gollum getting more frantic as Bilbo solved the puzzles and threw back as well as he'd received.
Well done!
Oh, and the great hoarder of treasures, the dragon Smaug, was a fantastical creature that involved five people to operate as Connor Easterling voiced the beast - RAWR!
All told there were eight that took on 23 roles, and did so seamlessly.
What an ambitious project...
as I was sure to tell Gloria Rigsbee...
and how proud I am of these thespians!
Wow...
the perfect place for me after such a hard week.
i thank You, God.

2 comments:

faustina said...

Faustina Smith 8 NOV
So proud of this ambitious undertaking - and how well it was done!!! That had been a favorite book when I was a teen and I was thrilled to be there on Saturday! Thanks to all! ❤

Author
Savannah Children's Theatre
Faustina Wow! Thank you so much for your constant support & encouragement. We always love having you in the audience!

Faustina Smith
... and I, in turn, love being there!

faustina said...

I am so delighted!!!

I was on fb, checking on some of my favorites, like the Savannah Children's Theatre, and guess what I saw?

They quoted me on a banner for last weekend's performances of "The Hobbit"!!!

- "a favorite book when I was a teen and I was thrilled to be there" -

I am sooo delighted!!!