Saturday, November 11, 2023

with thanks to Mama this Veterans Day


There's no way I could have guessed, back in 1976, that military veterans would be treated so well, by so many, nearly fifty years later.

All my 17-year-old self could see was the opportunity to travel, to see the world I'd read so much about, to go to college some day.

The Navy, with its unspoken promise to always allow me to be near an ocean, was the way for me to do that.

However, as I was not yet of age, Mama had to sign her consent for me to enlist...
Mama had to willingly send away her one and only daughter...
and she did, against her own wishes but in support of mine.

That's how much she loved me.

I am so grateful to her for that trust in me.


Today, almost forty years after I finished my last tour as a sailor and returned to Mama and to Savannah, I celebrated on this chilly, drizzly, Veterans Day.

Thank you, Chicken Salad Chick, for the Lauryn's Lemon Basil on croissant, the chips and cookie, and lemonade, and the cashier who had an art teacher named Faustina.
I had half the sandwich for my brunch, with the remainder slated for breakfast tomorrow.
 
Thank you, Texas Roadhouse, for the voucher for a meal in the future, to spread out this day's celebration for all veterans.
Thanks, also, for the bag of roasted peanuts and the coupon thereon for a free appetizer on some other occasion - I know just what I'll get with that!

Thank you, Red Lobster, for the voucher for a meal of Shrimp & Chips in the near future.


Thank you, Applebee's, doing good in the neighborhood and for me, treating me to a free late lunch on this day, granting me one of my favorites: Fiesta Lime Chicken! 


Thank you, Armstrong Masquers, for a discounted ticket to the matinee today of "Lethal Lecture", a science-based interactive mystery with two archaeologists!
What a thrill to be on stage as Dr. Schechkle, one of those scientists, enlisted to cry and scream as part of a re-enactment clue - so much fun!
What a nice flashback to my time spent with A.C.T.O.R. in Okinawa, and my years of working with John Suchower and the Masquers on that Jenkins Hall stage.
I'm so glad I was there, in my seat, with Mama by my side, inspiring me!


Thank you, Little Caesar's, for the free Hot'N'Ready Lunch Special, with its four slices of deep-dish pepperoni pizza - I had half of those for dinner a few minutes ago.

Thank you, Publix, for the 10% discount on my groceries today, helping to defray the cost of finally restocking my pantry.

Thank you, Food Lion, for the 10% discount today, too, and the grand sale on Green Giant canned vegetables, making my larder full for the first time this year.

Thank you to all who wished me well today and thanked me for my service -
it was an honor to serve my country.
 
Happy Veterans Day to all who served.
 
Now, time to watch "Anger Management" to sing along, once more, with Jack Nicholson, Stan Turturro, and Adam Sandler!
Such a lovely day this has been, even under gray skies.
i thank You, God!

No comments: