Monday, November 6, 2023

i caught ya with your backfield in motion


Today is definitely not a Saturday!
Yes, I did see a cartoon this morning, but no Bugs Bunny.
This time, it was Popeye, trying to feed spinach to Sweetpea.
Yeah, like a baby would have anything to do with that green stuff!
Very funny!
The title was "The Football Toucher Downer" and this scene was from the tale the sailor was telling the child about when he, Popeye, was a scrawny squirt, with his team getting overrun for the Blutos until he, Popeye, relented and ate his spinach.
The game was the thing that caught my attention.
Football is a big draw in the southeast, and it hardly matters whether its little kids or bulky grownups tossing that pigskin around - football is the real deal.
Just ask either of my brothers and they'll tell you that's the truth.
I may love baseball on the diamond more than them, but the gridiron has their hearts.
Most of what I know about football I learned from Mel and Tim of Mississippi.
They're the two guys who sang "Backfield In Motion", back in 1969.
I was eleven, at an age when I was really paying attention to things like lyrics.
It probably didn't hurt things that I was a real Daddy's girl and Daddy loved football.
Shoot, Daddy loved all kinds of sports!
Mel and Tim did, too, interweaving football and boxing and baseball and basketball into the mix in their song about a girlfriend who was cheating on them.
Still, it did teach me some terminology, like first down and all that.
Super Bowl parties are responsible for me understanding what those meant.
So, here are the lyrics so we can all sing along with them in the video.
 
"Backfield in motion, yeah
I'm gonna have to penalize you, yoo-hooBackfield in motion, babyYou know that's against the rule, huh
 
Offside and holdin', yeahYou oughta be ashame' of yourself, babyOffside and holdin', yeahHoldin' on to someone else
 
You know you're cheatin', babyFakin' the boutYou know you're balkin', baby, oh yeahStrike three, you're out
 
And I caught you with yourBackfield in motion, yeahI'm gonna have to penalize you, yoo-hooBackfield in motion, babyYou know that's against the rule
 
First down, you start cheatin' on meSecond down, I was too blind to seeThird down, you know I love you soFourth down, baby, I got to let you go
 
'Cause I caught you with yourBackfield in motion, yeahI'm gonna have to penalize you, yoo-hooBackfield in motion, babyYou know that's against the rule
 
Now you will see, oh yeahJust how I felt, you better believe it, babyYou beat me to the punch, honeyBut you hit me below the belt
 
And I caught you with yourBackfield in motion, yeahI'm gonna have to penalize you, yoo-hooBackfield in motion, babyYou know that's against the rule
 
Backfield in motion, offside and holdin'Backfield in motion, double dribble, babyBackfield in motion, woo, clippin', honey"
(Source: Musixmatch
Songwriters: Melvin Harden / Hubert Timothy McPherson)
 
Really is a cute song!
And today really is a beautiful breath of warmth again!
Last Monday, Savannah had a high in the mid-80's.
But when November rolled into town on Wednesday, the temps didn't even reach 60.
Seriously.
Brrrr.... I hated that so much.
But life is good again, with the lows this week right where they should be again.
 

Plus, I've got my shots up to date, and it's been long enough that my immune system has its new warriors in place.
That's a good thing, as it's definitely cold, flu, and COVID season.
The latest data is showing a decline in COVID cases, which is to be expected.
The United States finally has over 80% of the population vaccinated.
So, while it's gonna be a bugaboo with staying power, at least most are living through it.
This Omicron remains quite a versatile beast, morphing with each new host - that means with each person that gets infected by it - but its bite has weakened a bit.
Almost gone are all the XBB variants, replaced by three new contenders.
That would be the HV.1 - the somber taupe band near the middle -
the FL.1.5.1 - the minty green block near the top of each column -
and the EG.5 - that's the peachy block topping off each column.
Of course, this graph can only tell what's going on from those who are tested in hospitals, urgent care clinics, and doctors' offices.
Still, it's good to have some idea of what's going on out there in this part of the world.
Now, let me stick a mask in my pocket before I head out the door!
I keep hearing coughing people everywhere I go.
I certainly do not intend to join their ranks.
What say you?

No comments: