Thursday, November 9, 2023

la la la... whoops!

Oh, my! 
 
Would you just look at that dip?!?!
 
What a truly obnoxious thing to be coming up this weekend!
 
I don't mind the rain, but those lows in the 40's make it so hard for the highs to struggle into the 60's....
ack!!!
 
That's okay, I've cleared my slate of chores.
 
I washed clothes yesterday, even the linens, and was fortunate to find a machine that easily held all for just $3.50, so the "three loads" only cost me $7 and an hour's time.
 
During this open enrollment time, I applied to the 2024 medical plan that I desired - the AARP Medicare Advantage Patriot No-Rx - and look forward to more perks in the future.
 
I have obtained a new homeowners policy, this time from Homesite...
after having written and mailed a response to the other insurance carrier, with a copy of that response going to GEICO with a cover letter.
 
I feel very good about having accomplished all of that.

That made today feel special, like a new start.
 
My luncheon with Yvonne certainly made today special, too!
 
This was the second in our series of one-on-one meetings.
 
The first, like this one, was also at Olive Garden.
That had been on October 16th, also a Thursday.
And the time of that luncheon was also high noon.
No need to change a working formula!
(smile!)
 
There's definitely something to be said for being consistent.
A groove is a good thing to have when life gets hard to bear,
a groove can reassure when little else can.
Loss adjustment... yes, a luncheon with a good friend can certainly help.
See? I do believe the smile has reached up to her eyes for a while.
That's good for both of us.
 

After sharing time with her, I was off to share time with another friend...
and to finish out my AMC A*List with a trio of movies for a change.
That final movie, "Journey To Bethlehem", was a musical!!!
Yes, it was the story of Mary and Joseph, up to the point of Jesus' birth.
However, it was a retelling with a bit of vaudeville to it!
I mean, the Magi even do a song and dance about being "Three Wise Guys"!!!
But the one who steals the show, eating scenery with mouth wide open and both hands shoveling it it, was Antonio Banderas!!!
His portrayal of an evil King Herod was so blatantly over the top as to be delightful!!!
There's even a flair of Bollywood in it for us!!!
Barbara and I are both of a mind to burn up all our A*List next week on this one movie.
As for the first and second movies, I've already spoken of them, here, and here, respectively.
 
I was feeling fairly well energized after that musical...
and given the mid-80's heat of the day...
so I decided to do something different tonight: I went to a play downtown.
 
Not to just any play, either.
I went to the last of the season for Savannah Repertory Theatre.
 
Why was that such a big deal?
Well, the last time I went to an evening performance for theirs, I was without my car for a week.
I resolved to be more mindful of big behemoths this time around, and, fortunately, none bothered me.
 
Good.
 
The play, "The Lifespan Of A Fact", was performed to a full house, so that was good, too.
In it, a new - and quite compulsive - fact-checker in New York is tasked by a journal editor there with making sure a favored writer has not taken too much literary license with his latest essay, a piece ostensibly about the suicide of a teenager in Las Vegas, but littered with extraneous bits and pieces to make it tied in to a gambling town zeitgeist. 
Amazingly, the characters portrayed by the actors are all three real people, and the play follows the real book, co-authored by the real writer and real fact-checker, about trying to get that essay published.
Apparently, it took seven years for the essay to be deemed factual enough to print.
The issue, besides the one of a twenty-something author insisting on the words he's written as being all important, is the belief of that author that the facts get in the way of the truth, which is why he changed so many facts to ones that "flowed" better in his essay.
Wow.
As a scientist, I cannot condone someone doing such a thing.
However, as a writer, I can understand the desire to have one's words leave a particular impression upon a reader.
It was an interesting piece, that's for sure.

Such a good day, well-spent...
and safely home, once more, with my car intact.
Such a good day, and such a good and warm day, spent with those dear to me.
i thank You, God.

1 comment:

faustina said...

Here's a nice sidebar about the actors in the play.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/atlanta/article/Complete-Cast-Announced-ForSavannah-Reps-THE-LIFESPAN-OF-A-FACT-20231027