Tuesday, September 3, 2024

flashback: may 3, 2012

I always tried to be at the special events on the Armstrong campus, especially those during the day.
This particular one was during the second year of my temporary full-time gig there.
It was the Friday before Cinco De Mayo, so the university had been having Hispanic Outreach activities all week.
I don't recall just why a Native American dancer was there to entertain the lunchtime crowd, nor do I recall which nationality he was.
All I can say for sure is this: he was magnificent to watch while he was dancing all over the plaza.
My feet were tapping right along during his entire dance, and he noticed he had my attention.
Looking directly at me, he asked the gathered audience if anyone would like to join him in a group dance, knowing I would be the first to volunteer... that's what he told me, too, when I spoke with him afterward.
(smile!)
 
First, he lined us up and showed us a few steps.
 
He made sure we were holding hands, too.
I felt like a Rockette!
(smile!)
 
Next, we started dancing...
 
... as he led us in a curving line all around the plaza at the student center!
 
 
Then, we gave thanks for the dance we had done together.
 
My thanks to Armstrong for a lovely break from chemistry and teaching!
 
My thanks to the dancer for seeing in me a kindred spirit!
 
My thanks for fb for this 'memory' a couple of months ago!
 
i thank You, God!

No comments: