Thursday, September 19, 2024

thursday with two firsts and the guys


So many options for my time tonight!
I could have gone to the Jepson for a reception and lecture...
I could also have attended the piano concert at Armstrong...
both of which were free events for me...
both of which I would have gladden been at any other Thursday...
but I am spoken for on the third Thursday of each month.
That's the only time I ever see these other veterans from Post 36, at least until the day arrives when Two Firsts becomes a viable 'saloon'.
That's what Doug calls watering holes like this one will one do become.
He's barely visible just past Billy's hat.
There was Jay, Michael T, Joe, Billy / Doug, Clark, and Carl.
Oh, and me, too.
(smile!)

So, what progress has been made at the site?
Well, the biggest news is this: we have a legit contractor now, and, if I understood him correctly, he's a member of our American Legion post now.
The "he" is Justin Wells, of Wells Construction Pros LLC, there with wife and partner, Savannah, to answer some questions about our project.
He's also a veteran, and quite possibly works with tradesmen - Drawdy's HVAC, was a name I knew, as well as Nick Hitt - who may also be former military, like us.
Here's the plan: they are amassing the paperwork required to file for the work permit from the city, and that is going to filed on Monday, 30 September.
They cannot yet work on the building because a "cease and desist" order was placed some few months past, so no contractors or tradesmen can legally do anything there.
Once the permit application is filed, we wait.
We are hoping the permit will be approved within two or three weeks, but, as we live n the real world, we have to acknowledge that it may be more like two months.
It all depends on where our request falls in the pecking order.
But, here's the real sweet spot: once that permit is approved, Wells and company will mobilize to complete our job as first priority.
How very kind of them!
And how very kind of Doug to let me take half a Firehouse Sub tuna sandwich home with me, as well as three donuts!
Most def right place, right time!
(smile!)

No comments: