Monday, September 23, 2024

flashback to 1920's chicago, plus


Even when the days are full of televised football, there is still something worth watching.
Last night, Comet gave me the one episode of "The X-Files" that was almost a musical.
For real!
Not only was "Improbable" filled with songs that Mark Snow had nothing to do with, and that made it a quite unusual show, but there were also dance numbers! 
 

For starters, there were seven Italian songs from the 1950's or earlier and one English song written in 1936 by two American black artists.
Why had those songs been chosen?
Did Burt Reynolds suggest those tunes from his youth?
After all, having been born in 1936 - the same year as my Daddy, Harvey Goodwin Smith - and growing up in southern Florida, near Miami, Burt would have been in his teens and 20's when he heard much of that music.
No doubt it's as familiar to him as Jim Croce is to me.
Then again, it may just be that Chris Carter is a fan of the French singer, Karl Zéro, and wanted to include his latest album - "Songs for Cabriolets and Otros Tipos de Vehiculos" - full of bossa nova tunes in that 2002 episode of "The X-Files".
After all, he is the writer/director/producer, so he has that option.
(smile!)
All I can say is, that's one of my favorite non-Mulder episodes!
I came into it straight out of seeing "Chicago", the musical I chose as my $1 Movie Night reward from Comcast for the month.
"Improbable" was set in Baltimore, but sure had a "back in the day" feel to it, so that was actually a good segue for me.
Then, I watched "Chicago" again with my breakfast.
Perfect!

A little bit of burlesque...
as the lawyer "rode" to the prison in his makeshift Ford Phaeton!
That reminds me of the "Crazy Horse Paris" show I saw in Las Vegas in 2010 - ooh la la!
 
 
A little bit of ventriloquism and puppetry...
as the lawyer puts words into his client's mouth, while also orchestrating the spin that all the media folk will put on the "little jazz killer's" murder story.
 

A little bit of softshoe comedy, and a little bit of tap...
the first as performed by the ignored husband of the murdering blonde, the second done with much "Razzle Dazzle" by the lawyer in the courtroom.
Oh, yes, this one hits all the high notes of vaudeville!
Come to think of it, so did "Sherman And The Mint Juleps", didn't it?
Yes, yes, indeed.
Time to watch that again... and perhaps invite the physicist.
He's always up for vaudeville and burlesque!
(smile!)

No comments: